1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dehumidifying packets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunK, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Desiccants? I need more for my safe and some other storage items... where is the best place to find these? Looked at some local stores (Target) and checked out B&H online, but unless I'm using the wrong terminology, I'm not finding anything. Help?

2. Shaun,

You might try http://silicagelpackets.com/. I cannot vouch for the outfit, but they seem to have what you seek.

More information is available by searching "silica gel". While their are other dessicants, this is what most commercial packets contain. the ones that change color when wet and when dry usually contain silica gel with a hygroscopic compound that colors differently depending upon whether wet or dry.

Good luck,
    Tom

3. Any shipping supplies company should have dessicant packs. The packs at work are approx. 2 ounces. I carry two packs in every bag. www.desiccare.com

Cheers

Ted:smile:

4. I have some "industrial strength" ones I got from B&H or Adorama a few years ago. I believe they are what Pelican sells. Mine are called Hydrosorbent SG 40. They are in a hard alluminum case about 2X4 inches and can be used "for a lifetime". Each packet contains 40 grams of silica gel product and can serve 3 cubic feet of space.

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    For emergency use uncooked rice works too, e.g. photo equipment soaked in rainstorm or the like.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  6. excellent bit of info
    thanks

7. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Can I cook the rice afterwards. LOL

8. In many humid parts of the world you will find restaurants that put rice in their salt shakers to keep the salt dry. Rice is a natural, that is why in humid climes you can use less water/shorter cooking times for rice if it is not stored dry! :biggrin:

9. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
  10. Home Depot or Lowes carry some great products as well. I have a rechargeable one that last a month before it needs to be plugged into the wall and a little bucket one that is disposable but last 3 months in my gun safe.

11. If you know pharmacists have them save the disposable desiccant tablets that are found in sealed prescription stock packages. I have used them and they work.

Les

12. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Not sure, but I've had mine for probably 2 years now. I image as long as you don't bust the case open and lose the pellets you can use it indefinitely.

13. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    My grandfather used to make silica gel beads. I have some that are at least 35 years old and still work fine. I'll ask him if he knows how long they can last if no one finds out.

14. Same here

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.