Delivery: New York to Sydney in 3 days - I'm impressed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simon, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I brought some camera gear through Adorama (New York) a few days back and wow am I impressed with the delivery (via UPS).

Here's the tracking info to show how it tracked.

[​IMG]

I arrived home here in Sydney tonight (Friday evening) and on my home office desk a big brown box.

Thank you Adorama and UPS.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not bad at all. So what did you get?

3. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Heh - "what did I get?" - I was wondering how long it would take ... :p

I finally filled out some areas that I have been caught short in.

I got myself:

1. Nikkor 12-24 DX
    2. Nikkor 70-200 VR
    3. TC-17EII

You guys have it "made" in the US - your prices are just so cheap. I support my local photo shops as much as I can bear but I basically can buy over the net from the US for 1/2 the local price (and that includes taxes and freight)

I buy consumables locally but the bigger ticket items from the US (sometimes grey market other times with US warranties)

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice new tools you have there.

Enjoy and share you great images you will get with these.

5. Simon, i have a software from Australia (Winebase) when i order a update now it takes about 1 1/2 weeks to get it, before New York event that was taking about 5 days at the most, that store is very fast on delivery.

6. Congratulations on your very fine purchases. You will like the lenses and TC.

7. That's excellent Simon! Our problem in Canada isn't the price difference between the US, it's the bloody taxes and customs brokerage fees when bringing stuff in. We've got 15% sales tax, and then clearing customs, we've got extra taxes, and brokerage that makes it not worth it. So much for NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) :(

You've gonna love the 70-200VR, esp married with the TC17EII..... show us some stuff when you get it. I was going to go with the 12-24 but got the 17-55 instead because it gave me more for what I shoot. Gotta love getting new toys!! Congrats....

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    It's a little amazing to me, too. I had a recent lens delivery from western Australia using Australia Post that was three days door-to-door. Astounding !

John P.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Just curious, why not the TC-20E II?

11. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Gregory,

Without being able to try them first, I had to make my best educated guess.

I just got the 70-200 VR and wanted to get up to about 500mm from it - I never go higher and in fact 500mm is way further than I really needed.

I based the buy on this plus reports from others here about comparisons between the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0

I tried the 1.7 out yesterday and am very pleased with results from it.

12. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Gregory,

Without being able to try them first, I had to make my best educated guess.

I just got the 70-200 VR and wanted to get up to about 500mm from it - I never go higher and in fact 500mm is way further than I really needed.

I based the buy on this plus reports from others here about comparisons between the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0

I tried the 1.7 out yesterday and am very pleased with results from it.

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks. I've been looking at the TC-20E II on my 70-200 or the 80-400 VR. The TC is a lot cheaper :D

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    That's amazing. I'm in Sydney on business as I type this, and it takes half of that time it seems just to fly here.

BTW, Sydney is an awesome city :D :D