Delivery Room Lens: Buy or Use Current Lens

John

Thank you for posting this here. I've seen the photo before and it's just and dramatic and invokes so much emotion even on the second go around. This shot probably makes you feel like you are reliving the event over and over. What a great feeling. There is no way you can recreate this at all.

I also wanted to ask you what metering did you use for this (or what you can remember)?
According to the EXIF it was matrix metering at -1/3. Aperture priority.
It never occurred to me I should have had active D-lighting to reduce the white out!

Hate to be a wet blanket, but why do you want to shoot it in the delivery room? The baby will look the same six hours later but your wife needs ALL your support during and immediately after the delivery.

Bruce
You're right it's a very personal decision. To each their own.
The shot of my son taking his first breath with the umbilical cord still attached is very special for me and I believe it will be for him as well.

It's only recently that fathers are in the delivery room for support. Historically the father waited outside with everyone else and the moms did fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like I'll be hitting the delivery room in the next few days. My wife can already feel the "process" beginning. Since this thread moved down the list, I've moved on from a D300 to the D700. After trying out the 24-70mm I think it will be the lens of choice as far as image quality. I compared the 35mm & 50mm and the 24-70mm and the 24-70 image quality wins hands down. Handling wise the 50mm would be my best choice.

What do you all think about setting the D700 for Auto ISO and minimum shutter speed of 1/80? Too slow?

Thorsten

When my son was born, I just took our D40 with the 18-55 kit lens. It was a C-section, so light was plenty, no need for flash.

The surgeon is cutting my wife open with the big knife, while posing for the camera:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ok she's open, now everybody is looking for the baby in there:

Found him! And so my wife is looking all relaxed after her spa treatment, ...err I mean C-section:

My son Jonathan and me. This picture and the previous one were taken by the anesthetist:

Very skeptical of this world:

What do you all think about setting the D700 for Auto ISO and minimum shutter speed of 1/80? Too slow?
I don't think a 24-70 would be "hands down" better, but definitely go with at least 1/125s minimum SS for Auto ISO. You've got a D700 so don't be shy about pushing it. Remember the cardinal rule. You can always clean up a noisy shot in various ways, but a blurred shot is pretty much lost forever. I'd still recommend going with a 35 or 50mm prime. A D700 is two stops better than most DX cameras, but a 2.8 is two stops slower than a 50mm f/1.4.

I used a D50 with a 35mm f/2 wide open at 800-1600 ISO, and I could only keep shutter speeds at 1/50th to 1/80th in a non-OR delivery room setting. I'd go with the fastest lens you have like Steve said.

All that said, pay attention to your wife first, camera second. I did all the counting while she was pushing, and we had a little scare at the end where the baby's heart rate dropped while his shoulders were stuck on my wife's pelvis. Immediately, literally 20 people rush into the room with alarms going off everywhere, baby is pulled out with forceps while a tiny nurse lays all her weight on mom and baby above the pelvis. Needless to say, not a great time for pictures. Honestly, I just sat there still counting when the baby was already wisked away, totally stunned. Everyone is fine now, but I'm glad I was right there for my wife when she needed me.

Enjoy the experience, hopefully it's smoooooooother than it was for us!

L

Linus Van Pelt

Have been lurking for a while, but this thread actually inspired me to post...

Just had our first baby 4 weeks ago, and I did have my equipment with me. However, we also decided to bring in a point-and-shoot into the delivery room for 2 reasons:

1) After 26+ hours of labor, I wasn't sure what shape *I* would be in, let alone my wife... so I didn't want to take the chance of dropping expensive equipment in the delivery room! Plus, where I was, there wasn't much room beyond just me, so to have added a DSLR would have been more problematic.

2) I tend to agree with those who were of the "support your wife" school of thought. I was more worried about health of wife and health of son; I'm not sure that I would have been able to pull off the one-handed shots at that time of the night anyway... :)

That said, when back in the room, it was the 35/1.8 all the way...

Looks like I'll be hitting the delivery room in the next few days. My wife can already feel the "process" beginning. Since this thread moved down the list, I've moved on from a D300 to the D700. After trying out the 24-70mm I think it will be the lens of choice as far as image quality. I compared the 35mm & 50mm and the 24-70mm and the 24-70 image quality wins hands down. Handling wise the 50mm would be my best choice.

Congrats! The D700 and 24-70 would be my choice, without a doubt. Shutter speed depends on your hands, I'd probably start at 1/100 just to be safe. Matrix metering should give you Auto ISOs in the 2000-5000 range based on most hospitals.

As John said above to each his own. We are all grown adults that that can make our own personal decisions regarding our families. This thread as I posted several comments back is not about camera first. Who in their right mind would put a piece of equipment before their wife and/or baby? The point of this thread was to find out what would be the best lens for a delivery room simple as that. This is not my first time in this situation. My wife fully supports my interests in photography and is hoping I capture some great shots. The pictures of my first born are one of our prized memories that she cherishes. I dont think I need a forum for marital or family advice....but for complicated photography issues I need all the help I can get hahahaha

With that said......the 50mm it is!

good luck! :smile:

Bring your 105 micro too in a bag or pocket. For some baby portraits that will give you some nice distance between you and your newborn. I like the 24-70, but on FX even 70mm is still pretty short, and newborns can get startled by noisy shutters.

Marc, first and foremost let me congratulate you on your new baby! When we had our first and only son (almost 10 years ago) I brought my "work camera" which is a Sony Mavica FD-91 that took floppy disks. An hour before my son was born, I took a dramatic shot of the sunrise as we were sitting right next to a window. It is probably the best photo I've ever taken in my life. It's a crappy, noisy photo by today's standard but I say "best" because it was the day my son was born..a sunrise that signifies new life.

By the time she was ready to give birth, I had to put the camera down so she can hold me (and strangle me! lol)

good luck and congrats again!

Joseph thanks for the encouraging words and the congrats. I am looking forward to my son entering this world. Hopefully it will be in the next few days or so.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom