1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DEll 22"monitor, anybody use??

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Orion, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Orion

Orion

Feb 8, 2008
    Earth
    Been awhile since I have posted (lots of lurking though), but this has been bugging me.

Just got a 22" Dell E228WFP and I am having somewhat mixed feelings about image quality and editing photos on it. I have not got the chance to calibrate it yet (my Father and I share a monaco calibrator).
    Anyways my question is does anyone here use this monitor or a similar TN panel with good results as far as getting good calibrations and matching prints well?
    I am really hesitant to give up my trusty CRT, does it take awhile to adjust to viewing text,graphics and images moving from a CRT?

Thanks in advance,
    Cory

2. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

The major advantage of the TN type panel is price. If what you need is color fidelity that surpasses a high end CRT then you should be looking at high end LCD monitors using maybe an IPS type panel. The trouble with Dell is that they buy panels from multiple suppliers and it's luck of the draw which you get.

3. rmi1

rmi1

Jan 14, 2008
    Western Hemisphere
    I have been using the same monitor since April and had no issues with it. Setting up the printer is a different issue...

4. Cory,
    I am also using this Dell monitor & I have mixed feelings about it.
    It seems to be a decent monitor for the price, but I get frustrated
    when I go to edit a photo & the brightness/contrast of the image changes dramatically as
    I move my viewing position up/down.
    If I am viewing a couple inches high, the image is very bright.
    I may start to research S-IPS monitors........

5. Everyone recommends S-IPS panels, but is there any way to know you are buying a monitor with a S-IPS? The spec sheets on boxes, online, etc. do not seem to list this.

6. This site is the best resource I know of. You can check most models there.

Yes, IPS panels are the best, and PVA are great too.

7. i just recently went through this .... 2 weeks ago to be exact ...

I ended up with the dell 2408wfp - its a s-pva (actually a samsung unit) great monitor ... and between the TN / IPS panel prices ...

took me a while to get used to the text on an lcd screen coming from a CRT - but the photos look amazing ...

I do have a Huey for calibration .... it holds very well so far ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.