Dell Laptop Problem - Seek Advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Hello there. I spent the day at my mom's yesterday and my niece had her new Dell Inspireon 6000 Laptop with her. She just got it new from Dell in September of this year and as already had to replace the motherboard in the thing. She also told me that Dell will no longer give you the OS Disk and Drivers Disk - supposedly you have to pay for those now. She said she spent hours argueing with tech support about getting the disks, finally they sent them to her and Dell wants her to send them back. Gimme me a break.

Has anyone bought a Dell recently? And are they really not giving you the OS Disk and Drivers Disk? That is just crazy.

Anyway. She also said that her front audio medio buttons (right on the front edge of the laptop) have never worked. So I say "Oh this should be an easy fix". Well, hours later, after loading/unloading/reinstalling drivers, software, even flashed the bios still no worky. I eventually gave up. Also FN-PG UP/PG Down does not control the volume either. Also unloaded/reloaded with the latest version of QuickSet which is the program that is used to control the audio keys.

My questions for laptop and Dell Laptop users: Have you seen or experienced this problem where the front audio/media keys simply do not function at all?

I feel like there is a simple solution and hopefully have missed it. You know I never looked at bios configuration. I wonder if there is something in BIOS to enable/disable front audio controls?

Feel free to throw ideas and suggestions and I will give them a shot.

Thanks All!

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

My experience with Dell lapstops is very bad and I'm not surprised of anything that doesn't work with them.I the first year I had the motherboard replaced three (3) times, hard disk crashed, keyboard needing repair two times, audio going literally up in smoke, the works ... you get the picture? Now, after the last factory repairs to this machine, it no longer can play multimedia presentations and keep music and images in sync.

My advice is to give up on these poor Dells and purchase something better. I'll never touch a Dell again, that's for sure.

3. No arguments here.

She is ready to trash the damn thing and get another brand. Dell needs to get their act together because eventually this will hurt them.

4. I'm on my second Dell Laptop since 2001 and have only had one problem - a keyboard that was flaky. I called Dell Tech support and a technician arrived at my door the next day and replaced it under warranty.

Of course it may be because the university I recently retired from has a purchase agreement with them and is a huge volume purchaser.

I've also heard that the Latitude series is of better quality than the Inspirons, and I've only had Latitudes.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have had nothing bud good experiences with Dell.

5. Ihave not experienced that problem either. I've had 3 Dell laptops in the last 5 yrs and still have 2 of them. One has traveled all over with me too! I guess it is like anything else, sometimes you get a lemon.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Mark :

The issue with the OS disks is widespread. Many computer manufacturers now just "imbed" it in the system, usually on a separate partition. This will likely repeat with other companies. You can make a CD or DVD with an OS from that partition. Google this and you'll see several approaches.

As for Dell, I don't buy them. Period. While they have an attractive price point, and more to the issue, extremely good leasing terms for many companies, I've never had good experiences with their computers, desktop or laptop. The quality of the components is just not where I want for a computer I will use heavily. Dell with their ballyhooed low price is an excellent example of the axion, "You get what you pay for."

At this stage, the best thing for your Mom is probably to escalate the complaint to the supervisor level (or above). Dell's ratings for service in the computer magazines dropped a lot this year, and they're likely a bit sensitive to how complaints are addressed. You could try and enlist one of the computer magazines like PCWorld to help your Mom with Dell. OTOH, Dell may just blow you off.

As an ultimate, since you're in Texas, you can call your state AG regarding the company and apply pressure from that side, usually through a consumer complaints division. I've done this with companies where I live, and it's quite astounding how obstinate customer service groups begin to jump. And Dell is HQ'd in TX...

John P.

7. And Pa.

Yeah, sorry this thread is not meant to thrash Dell. I have bought a number of Dell Desktops (business use) and I have had very few problems. It does seem that a fair amount of people have had problems with laptops and I guess an industry trend to not include OS and Driver disks - that is just yuck! in my book.

Anyway..... To get back on track here

I am really after trying to figure out the front audio control problem on her laptop.

8. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Mark,
    As a part time computer consultant for friends, family, and some small companies I have had both good and bad experiences with Dell. So hang in there.

To address your most recent concers:
    1. The OS for most systems is usually included in the emergency recovery disk that came with the system; but you will lose all your contents on the hard drive. It is possible to boot from this disk and get a fresh 'factory' install (ie. what your laptop came with). I have had do this on several occasions. So if there is no data on the laptop you want to keep or can burn to CD with ease, this is the easiest way to re-install.

2. As far as the media buttons, the only thing I can suggest that you haven't tried is to re-seat the panel that buttons sit it. that is, to pop it out of the laptop (see manual - online is available) and re-seat the connection to the motherboard as well as check that the underside of the buttons are not stuck. This has worked for me in past with the Dell 8000 series to fix both media button and hibernation button issues.

Good luck- and remember some people paid big money for a D2X with focusing problems (all fixed eventually) And as you found, if you are patient and persistent enough with Dell, they will, eventually get the problem fixed.

Gregg

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Yep - They do not include this disk anymore - you must pay extra for it! And the drivers disk. No disks came with her laptop. They wanted to sell them to her after the fact.

I have not tried this - thought about it but, did not get to try this. But, I am hopeful that this is perhaps the problem. However, her Function + Page Up/Page Down Keys should also control volume and this does not work either. Bummer.

Yes, I agree all products will have both happy and unhappy customers. I think though it appears the trend at least in my experience is less and less happy Dell customers. That is not good for Dell. Ironically they are trying to maximize their profits and sales and actually doing the opposite!

Thanks for the response.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Good Experience with Dell

I have purchased multiple (5) Dell desktops (until I started building my own) and have had 4 Dell laptops. With those 9 computers I have had only one problem, a latch broke on the battery compartment and they replaced it without charge. Have not purchased one recently so maybe they have changed but I always received the CDs with the installed software.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. Thanks Paul!

I have called her and she is going to log-on to Dell and try that out. Sure looks like maybe just maybe that is the problemo! She will be happy and me happy for her but, there goes my $1000 laptop! LOL. She is at my grandma's right now but, will be able to go down to my mom's hopefully later tonight (for internet access) and try it out. I will post my findings and success/failure.

Again thanks Paul.

15. I have two Dell desktops and 2 laptops. Never have a problem. My Inspiron 9200 notebook is a workhorse for me.

Will buy a Dell anytime.

16. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Dell may need loyal customers. They certainly lost me for ever.

17. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    In addition to Paul's suggestion. To get the Fn keys to work properly you need the Dell Quickset.

Otherwise, when you depress the Fn keys they probably will not work to change the monitor output or the numeric keypad.

Regards,