Dell Laptop Problem - Seek Advice.

Patrick - I uninstalled and reinstalled quickset multiple times and that did not fix the problem. I am hopeful that Access Direct may help the situation. Thanks for the comments.

PGB

PhotoByMark said:
Patrick - I uninstalled and reinstalled quickset multiple times and that did not fix the problem. I am hopeful that Access Direct may help the situation. Thanks for the comments.

Quickset will not affect the media buttons, it controls the Fn keys ability to launch apps like the power mangler, display output switch, and numeric keypad.

Regards,

I gotch ya! But, did not fix Fn Key Audio either. I think her computer should be blended up with some water and sugar and we all can drink some delicious lemonade. :biggrin:

Interesting to hear that they try to charge you for the OS/drivers disks. Unless the charge is only a couple dollars to cover the cost of media that sure seems like a rippoff to me, you're buying the software along with the laptop after all. My Dell laptop is a little over a year old and came with the discs, wonder how recent this policy change is.

I'll admit I went with Dell based almost entirely on price; those $800 coupon codes are too good to pass up. For me the laptop is not a mission critical machine, if it was I'd be looking at something like IBM.

Jeff - It was more than a few dollars otherwise it would have been trivial. It was a hundred or so. I bought some Dells for work in 01 and they came with disks. I think it is a fairly recent change I think? She bought her laptop in September 2005.

Real Name
Heiko
I'm reading this thread on one of my Dell laptops. I got my Latitude D600 in February and a month later my wife was negging so I got her another Dell (don't remember the model, but it was an Inspiron or so).

Didn't have problems so far, except that it took me ages to get the bluetooth headset to work. My laptop has had several rides to Europe, in addition to being dragged along to wherever I drive. I use it at home, at work and in the cafe (where you drink coffee). And the kids are playing with it.

I don't have any previous experience with Dell, I mainly used IBM.

One thing I can say - it copes with heat quite nicely.

I sure hope I won't have such service experience what some of you described. Because then it will have been my last Dell.

Regarding home PCs, I started building them myself some 5-6 years ago. This way I know what I get, even if it costs me a little more.

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
Dell charges a small amount to include the OS disks. I think it's something like $15. This issue is clearly delineated on their ordering form.

Sorry, can't help with your HW problems. Sounds like a return issue. Why fight with it. ???

Dell makes a good product at a good price.............. but "things happen".

JohnG

JohnG

Latest threads

Top Bottom