1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Delta IV Launch

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by CAJames, Jan 13, 2018.

1. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    From Vandenberg AFB. Tough shooting because the rocket was launched almost directly into the sun, but I did what I could ;) . I was about 8 miles away.

0tOtG_UDe6Ew4ZqzfYvEYikC6eGDGU8YmurA-oUan8BGKvnfgZ9OMnjkc63WS3NHZVL3OU9yMoFHd8=w817-h1021-no?.

Nikon Df + 800mm f/8 AI.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  2. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Very impressive for the circumstances James, well done.

3. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Thanks Brian, I definitely consider this more of a "cool picture" than "fine art."

4. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Fantastic photo James especially after reading your position relative to the Sun, though that did make the exhaust prettier?

5. Great shot!! Which complex do they use? North or South base?

(I was at Vandenberg for 4 years in the mid-80's .... days of the shuttle at SLC-6. Best job of my career!!)

Cheers!!

Ken

6. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Thanks Ken, this was indeed launched from SLC-6. Its amazing the number of people I've run into online who said they worked/were stationed at Vandenberg. But with a handle like Minuteman3 I'd be surprised if you didn't spend any time there ;) .

Thanks Pawl, didn't really think about that but you may very well be right.

7. Well captured, we don't get anything like this in the UK.

8. Agreed. I'm an hour from our launch area and I've never gotten a decent shot. Well done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.