Dempster Highway

I captured this photograph many years ago (July, 1994) along the Dempster Highway in the Northwest Territories of Canada.

It was a real adventure. We drove the highway from Dawson City to Inuvik. This is an 835 miles round trip drive on unpaved roads with just one gas station along the way! I think we saw two or three cars during the entire trip. Unfortunately, we did see a few of these speeding logging trucks--which ultimately resulted in a broken windshield.

I used a Nikon N8008 camera with Kodachrome film for this image. A couple of years ago, I scanned the slide.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just read the article you linked. Must have been some trip!
And a very nice picture here!
Thanks Rob...it was an amazing trip. at a couple of points, a small ferry had to transport our car across a river as there aren't any bridges!

Classic shot of the open road! Great story of a memorable trip.
Thank you, Dossy

Glenn

In a Land Grant college in the 1960`s, I had to take ROTC two years. One instructor had just returned from duty in Alaska where he drove up and back the Alcan Highway. He talked about passing vehicles and flying stones and his car needing a repaint.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In a Land Grant college in the 1960`s, I had to take ROTC two years. One instructor had just returned from duty in Alaska where he drove up and back the Alcan Highway. He talked about passing vehicles and flying stones and his car needing a repaint.
Yes...the flying stones were a major problem.

One couple was driving the Dempster Highway in front of us. A few miles short of the only gas station, a flying rock went through their radiator while another cracked their windshield. After quite some time at the gas station waiting for the repairs to be completed, they finally got back on the road. They were on the Dempster Highway no more than three or four miles before they got a flat tire. They were extremely frustrated and never made it all the way Inuvik.

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom