Depth of Field and Aperture question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by icetraxx, Jul 16, 2005.

1. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I do not know the term used to discribe my question. Does any one know the apature on the 70-200mm, 85mm1.4, 17-55mm where everything is in focus. For example, when shooting landscapes the whole depth of field is in focus? Is there such an apature or does it vary with each shot.

I am traveling to vegas on monday with the wife and while she is working I'm headed off to the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and possibly Death Valley. I'm bringing all of the lens' listed below.

Thanks,
    Larry
    D2X
    70-200mm, 17-55mm, 85mm 1.4

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You mean hyperfocal distance. This is the distance setting, D, specific for each focal length *and* aperture which has depth-of-field extending from D/2 to infinity.

Lenses used to have colour-coded marking for the hyperfocal settings, but they mostly are gone with the onslaught of AF. You can search on the net for DOF calculators, though.

3. marc

marc Guest

bjorn, gave you the correct answer

may i attempt to make it easier or simple

if you want less dof use larger apertures

if you want more use smaller apertures

i would look up a dof chart on the web, just google

depth of field

love your trip, have a good time

4. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Bjorn thanks for the explanation. I could not think of the term to do a search.

Mark thanks for the example. I know about the apatures and DOF. I was just wondering if there is a specific one best for a lens.

Thanks again,
    Larry

5. marc

marc Guest

larry, dof only affects the relationship of your subject to the rest of the photo

it is really what you want to see

you may be thinking of at what aperture will i get the best focus and sharpest image

this is different than dof

you are using three really great lens

if you shoot those lens and almost any aperture, your results will be terrific.

it really depends on your ability

6. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I was talking about the hyperfocal distance. I found a cool little calculator. This is the explanation it gave:
    "The Hyper Focal Distance is the focus point, such that anything between half the distance to the focus point and infinity is in focus. So, for example, if for a given film format, focal length lense and f-stop the hyper focal distance is 6 feet, if you focus the camera at 6 feet, everything between 3 feet and infinity will be in focus. That is how you get the neat pictures of a small rock in the near foreground to be in focus, while the beautiful mountains in the background are also sharp."

It will be a little challange for me out there in the bright sunlight. I am used to taking pictures of dance recitals and competitions.
    Larry

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    "everything between 3 feet and infinity will be in focus" - should be "everything between 3 feet and infinity will be reasonably sharp". :)

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
  9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    For me the best part of it is that explicit input of CoC is allowed. I think that usual 20 mkm is too large for high resolution digital cameras when printing bigger then 4 x 5".

10. So what is the matematical formula for figuring out the Hyperfocal distance. I wanted to do an Excel sheet for myself to get some common distances and aperturters to get to know my top lenses by heart.

thanks for the help

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
  12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris

I have been reading Vivid Light mag since it came out.

Sorry MOOSE is not writing for them any more. I just Love the "MOOSE"

13. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    Thanks too, lot of information to digest. Trying to ballpark 1/3 distances sounds like an acquired skill.

Sam