Desaturation and selective color

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RKnecht, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I've been getting pretty comfortable with CS2 and I have started to venture out into some "tricks" of the program. The more I play around, the more I am impressed as to what is attainable with it. Here is a sample of some of my most recent "adventure". I am open to any suggestions on how to make it better. Or, just plain C&C will do.

[​IMG]

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Rich

For me....that does the job....straight to the centre of the image..the vehicle....

I like the treatment in this and whilst there is so much you could do with it....this is natural and eyecatching...

Great

Best wishes

Ray

3. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    For grins you might try painting everything around it green (on a separate layer boost color balance way green, add a mask, fill with black, brush with white on areas you want green)...

You may find that it adds to the depth of the image better than the grays...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

4. Your PP certainly makes the truck pop out at you. I like it.

5. cspringerrc.

Check out my Illustrated Look (Ray made an excellent video based on it).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=17462667

I was only trying to make it "pop" per your request (no Illustrated Look) and just used the USM step.

approx. Amount 85/Radius 36/Threshold 0.

Change Layer mode to Luminosity to avoid color shifts...but often they work well with this look. Add a mask to tweak

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  6. I kinda like that. I may not have gone as far with it, but your example shows what is attainable. Thanks for the link.

7. I agree...I could have masked off areas such as the chrome to tone it down or lower the layer opacity. I like how this technique brings out highlights and reflections.

8. Very cool effect. I will have to experiement. Almost borders on art as opposed to photography, not that that's a bad thing AT ALL. That's a very shady border anyway...