Desaturation to the rescue

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Harry S., Dec 3, 2005.

1. While re-editing some images I made in the late 80's, I ran into problems with too reddish skin tone (in addition to slightly uneven lighting). One of the reasons for the unsatisfactory quality was a bad scan to start with. There were a lot artifacts, which are not so obvious in the web version, though.
    Here is the (more or less) original scan.

original.

However, I liked the mood of this pic so I tried something to make it more pleasing.
    I rendered the whole pic in B/W, then I tried to correct the colors of the original as well as possible (including brightening the face), created a custom mask and blended the corrected color version with the B/W, bringing back the color of the girl until I liked it.

original.

I am still not completely content, so I will most likely do it again starting of with a better scan of the slide.
    As usual, when you work on an image for too long you loose your ability to correctly judge the result ("you don't see the forest because of the many trees" as we say in Austria), so please tell me what you think and how I might further improve this image before I start all over again.

Thanks

2. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I like your results so far... I think that you could try out a little selective defocusing and perhaps a vignette oval around the figure, then call it done!

Like I said, I do like it the way you've got it now...

Peter