1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Destop PC for Lightroom, NX2 and Photoshop etc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishnbanjo, Aug 6, 2009.

1. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Aug 4, 2009
    southern ME
    Although my PC runs Lightroom and NX2 it's not brisk. I'm not keen on Vista and am on the fence about Windows 7, been very happy with XP Professional and it is an option (I can buy a new PC with no OS). Was wondering what your dream PC is for Photo Processing and storage. Thanks.........

2. You'll probably get a lot more focused input if you post this query in the Technical Discussion>>PC sub-forum.

3. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
    i'm using an i7 running windows 7. best investment i've made in a while. nx2 and photoshop run smooth and fast.

4. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Aug 4, 2009
    southern ME
    Thanks, pretty new here and haven't gotten familiar enough with all the forum structure.

Currently running:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
    4 Gb Crucial RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 256 Mb vRAM
    2x150 Gb SATA and 1x200 Gb Sata
    Mid tower with 650W power supply
    19" digital flat panel
    XP Professional

enroute:

Intel Core I7 965 3.2 GHz Bloomfield (Extreme)
    9 Gb 3X2G+3X1G DDR3 1066 Extreme Performance
    ATi Radeon HD 4870 1024 vRAM
    1.5TB 7.2K BRINKS-XLOB SATA
    Mid tower with 900W power supply
    Vista Professional 64 bit is loaded but Windows 7 64 bit will follow
    keeping the 19" digital flat panel

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Welcome to the Café.

General Discussion
    Discuss non photography or photography related topics that do not have their own forum here. Please keep the discussion clean and friendly.

Technical Discussion
    SUBFORUMS: General Technical Discussion - Printers, monitors, and colour management - Raw Processors - PCs - Apple Computers - DITTO

Just start a new thread in the PCs section (or have the mods place this current one over there).

:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Aug 4, 2009
    southern ME
    I answered an existing thread in the correct forum, the mods are welcome to discard this one, thanks for the welcome.

7. mike367

mike367

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    Mac ?

8. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    With the system you've got enroute, there's little reason to be concerned about Vista, the system has plenty of horsepower to overcome Vista's bloat. Besides, Vista is improved with the service pack and other updates. I'm running Vista 64 on an i7, no complaints at all.

And then you've got a free upgrade to Windows 7? IMO your choice is pretty clear: leave the installed Vista operating system, upgrade to the free Windows 7 upgrade at your leisure. The one thing you should NOT do is install XP... what a waste to forgo all the features of the new operating systems when your hardware is more than enough to let you move on.

9. This is not only what I recommend you do - I did it: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4505235&CatId=2405 The quadcore proccessor is very fast and runs even NX decently. Price is Great. $419 plus ship Hard to beat!

As for OS I would strongly recommend you add 4 GB for 8 GB RAM and go Windows 7 64 bit, I'm running the RC with the same software that you want to use and is it ever smooth and fast. No crashes even in beta stage since I installed it 7 months ago. Forget Vista and XP - go directly to Windows 7, 64 bit

10. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    That shouldn't be a question mark, but an exclamation mark. To wit:

Mac!

:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.