Determined

First, please allow me to apologize for not being active here for so long. I have my reasons...of which I will briefly touch on. As some know I have been battling a couple of serious eye disease's...and for a long time now, they have been kicking my butt.

I was to the point of selling off my gear as I struggled to see, which vastly effected my career and life in general, let alone my photography. My wife would have none of it, she put her foot down on me selling off my gear. She told me to just wait and when I get a bit better, to try getting out and getting back into it.

Photography was/is a passion of mine...and I have missed it greatly. This past week, I finally was able to get out for a few short trips afield to try to "come back".

I had plenty of subjects...our family "bird heaven" still produces quality birds in pleasing environments...we indeed are blessed. So with all that said, here is my attempt at coming back...I am determined to not give up...and I will keep shooting until I simply can no longer see (I pray that day is long away)...until that day comes...your going to have to put up with posts from me from time to time:wink:

All taken with an old D300s:wink: and my trusty 600VR.

#1 Blue Grosbeak
BlueGrosbeak3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These birds are tough in bright light. Their blue is rather metallic and has a brilliant shine to it...best to photograph them in much softer light:eek:.

#2 White Crowned Sparrow
WhiteCrownedSparrow5.jpg

#3 Eastern Bluebird
EasternBluebird12.jpg

EasternBlueBird14.jpg

To really knock the rust off, I pulled out my junkly old 2x TC vII (you know the ones that are not sharp and can't be used)...and set on the front porch and took some longer distance shots without setting up my blind.

D300s, 600VR, 2x TC vII, wide open at f/8, ISO 400, 1/320th to 1/200th SS

#5 Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak
RoseBreastedGrosbeak2.jpg

RoseBreastedGrosbeak3.jpg

That is it for now...hope to get some better shots of the Blue Grosbeak in softer light later this week. Also had our first of the year appearance of a Baltimore Oriole at the bubbler today...so hope to be able to share some of him soon too. Hope you enjoyed...sorry for the long (normal for me) rambling post.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wow!

What a comeback! Great set!

Can't tell you've developed any "rust"!

So very nice to have you back shooting! We have, indeed, missed you!

Great to hear from you Jason. I always enjoy your 'small' bird photos. You certainly make that 600 sing. Let us see more of the Grosbeak.

Real Name
Ralph
I always thought you were among the best bird photographers.Glad to see you posting and I am sorry you are haveing trouble.Hope everything works out good for you.

D

DW Brewer

Hey Rowboat; glad to see your post. Yeah, 2013 has not been a good year to date regards health issues. But, your wife has the right idea: kudos to her. Excellent work on the blue grosbeak. The blue and Rose-breasted have yet to arrive here, just waiting with the feeders set up and ready. Hope to see more of your posts soon.

Jason I had wondered why we had not seen posts from you. You are one of my favorite posters and have always been. I am so glad to see you back here. You have been missed. These pictures are pure Jason and I would say you have not missed a beat. Well done once again. Keep them coming Jason.

Good to see you back Jason. As always, you don't disappoint. Each image is fantastic with great details and that ever so creamy BG. Of the set, #3 really grabs my eye.

Oh, by the way, good to see you shooting again. Stay positive!

Thanks for all the kind replies. Hope to keep adding more posts soon...just need a bit of time and some good weather.

Our lives are measured on how we address the challenges put before us.
You have faced yours head on, and kicked it's butt! You have not lost anything in your ability to pursue your passion and to let us vicariously share in it.
Love your photos....Admire and am in awe of your resilience.

Give your wife a big hug!!!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom