Detroit Red Wings Playoff winner

Hey,

Crazy game today, lots of action and some blood on the ice, not nice! :eek:

1 - Johan "the mule" Franzen back on the ice after getting high sticked, shoved in the boards, and 21 stitches later he's playing again!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 - You've heard the term "licking his chops", well Homer does just that!

3 - so if you can't shove him out of the way

4 - at some point a puck will slip through

5 - look through all the snow, and the puck is below the gap between the "gm" in smugmug, going into the net, I guess I've got to change this watermark eh?

6 - a poke check save, the puck is on his stick

7 - You know the one above that's going under Homer's skate in #4? This is what it looks like from the rafters 40ft up.

Nice shots Steve. #7 is the best, different view! How long were you up in the rafters for?
Hopefully the 3rd period was just a little fluke in the series, knowing how much better the Wings have been on the road I hope for a sweep.

Nice shots Steve. #7 is the best, different view! How long were you up in the rafters for?
Hopefully the 3rd period was just a little fluke in the series, knowing how much better the Wings have been on the road I hope for a sweep.
Thanks, I wasn't in the rafters but my camera was there as a remote. PWs on both cameras, the remote was on a manfrotto magic arm. The 3rd period is when Phoenix actually played hard and made a game of it, no worries!

nice Steve, agree w/ Brad #5 & #6 look a little dark. Were you in the rafters? Or a remote?
I'm not sure why #5 & 6 are a little dark, I could/should have touched them up to post here and they would have been better.

nice set Steve. A bit dark maybe though?
Yeah 5 & 6 are, not sure why though... hmmm.

I'm surprised no one mentioned #1 and the mashed up face that Franzen got, and 21 stitches! Oh well, the darkness of #5 & 6 make a difference, and the nice shot from the remote in the rafters was a cool outcome. I'll do that again for the game on Friday if it's needed.

Nice set of images.

Did have a question on hockey credentials, mostly out of curiosity. Does the NHL limit a given game to 4 photographers? Given there are only 4 "slots" to shoot from in each of the corners, does that mean only 4 guys get to shoot a game, even if it's a big Stanley Cup Finals?

Just seems odd relative to the other sports, but I'm not sure what they could do beyond forcing the photogs to "take turns" which doesn't seem overly practical either.

Nice set of images.

Did have a question on hockey credentials, mostly out of curiosity. Does the NHL limit a given game to 4 photographers? Given there are only 4 "slots" to shoot from in each of the corners, does that mean only 4 guys get to shoot a game, even if it's a big Stanley Cup Finals?

Just seems odd relative to the other sports, but I'm not sure what they could do beyond forcing the photogs to "take turns" which doesn't seem overly practical either.
Bret,
There are more than 4 holes in the glass, there are four in the corners, four at the blue lines, and four at the face off circles. Obviously the corners are the best and one or two are always taken up by TV (damn TV!), one by the dailies (newspapers), and/or SI when they're in town, so the other spots and then the concourse positions are used by everyone else including AP, Getty, Reuters, and the other peons like me. Everyone is shifted around each period, except TV of course, and SI can/will stay put in a corner. This makes for interesting choices on what you can shoot and where.
At the end of the regular season the glass was changed out and the "new" holes in the glass were cut, and cut smaller too, so that limits horizontal movement as well, but I digress, and complain, so I'll stop! :smile:

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I've only noticed the ones in the corner before, but it may be I'm not that observant or my local "pro" rink (Quicken Loans Arena) only does the corners as the demand to shoot minor league hockey isn't as high as for the NHL.

Just got me thinking that the number of photographers that can shoot hockey is somewhat limited as compared to other sports.

Anyway - thanks for the insight and great pics...

hey Steve, didya see this week's SI? One of the Leading Off pix is in Detroit, from low in the corner (keeper's right), do they have a cutout in the board (vs. glass)? The low angle seems to say yes....

hey Steve, didya see this week's SI? One of the Leading Off pix is in Detroit, from low in the corner (keeper's right), do they have a cutout in the board (vs. glass)? The low angle seems to say yes....
Hey Chris, I did see that one taken by Dave Klutho from SI. That is a remote that shoots through a plexiglass hole in the boards on the zamboni end where the away team defends in the 1st and 3rd. Only SI or the Red Wings guys get that nice remote location, the rest of us get to go into the attic! :biggrin:

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I've only noticed the ones in the corner before, but it may be I'm not that observant or my local "pro" rink (Quicken Loans Arena) only does the corners as the demand to shoot minor league hockey isn't as high as for the NHL.

Just got me thinking that the number of photographers that can shoot hockey is somewhat limited as compared to other sports.

Anyway - thanks for the insight and great pics...
No problem, but you're right, there are much fewer positions to shoot in hockey, more so than any other major sport.

Latest posts

Top Bottom