Detroit Tigers vs Twins

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by steveking, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Hey gang,

Well here's the latest installment from a strange game that was yet another loss to those darned Twinkies, thankfully our boys won today to get back to .500 at the All-Star break.

1- Curtis Granderson signs before the game, he really is a great kid.
    330945714_AYfHY-L.jpg

2- Manager Jim Leyland waits for the lineup exchange
    330946063_CfzNJ-L.jpg

3- Twins starter Scott Baker pitches in a brief downpour
    330947127_hRCKe-L.jpg

4- Twins right fielder Denard Span isn't pleased with the called third strike!
    330948260_JNpTQ-L.jpg

5- Tigers starter Nate Robertson throws a two seam fastball
    330949077_FMFoY-L.jpg

6- Sorry, but this is my token "Polly" shot of the day! :smile:
    Placido Polanco makes the throw to first from the outfield grass to get the out. Hey Mike, at least your Phils are in 1st place at the break.
    330949927_7Wk7z-L.jpg

7- Alexi Casilla bunts in front of the plate
    330950778_6pvuM-L.jpg

8- Justin Morneau follows through on a big cut at a fastball
    330951308_UgTDR-L.jpg

9- Brandon Inge lines one to left field for a base hit.
    330952148_AsF4m-L.jpg

10- Craig Monroe gets caught way out in front of this breaking ball.
    330953253_mdcmu-L.jpg

11- Alexi Casilla throws wide to first.
    330954261_8dGXn-L.jpg

12- Twins starter Scott Baker takes his cap off as he's removed from the game with the lead.
    330955313_Hdr9B-L.jpg

13- Joel "zoom zoom" Zumaya kicks and deals with a 99mph fastball, he didn't hit 100mph this time around, oh well.
    330958136_VKf5C-L.jpg

14- Joel Zumaya throws yet another 99mph fastball in the 9th.
    330957673_b8CtW-L.jpg

15- Twins closer Joe Nathan throws the last pitch of the ninth for a strike to end the game.
    330958666_roNGU-L.jpg

2. Steve did you buy a D3? I swear these images look like D3 images to me. Anyhoo, great set there my friend. You know my favorite is that down the line shot for sure.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent photography, I can never get enough of your photography Steve. Love the dugout shots as much as the action stuff.

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Yeah, #10 is very nice, set's all good though

5. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Impressive to say the least. I love how you cover the whole field with your shots.

6. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Watched a couple if innings of the game. Knew we were gonna lose when the umps blew the call at first base in I think the second inning. Score was 0-0 at the time. Next thing I knew the the score was 2-0 kittens. Don't know what you saw, but replay clearly showed Morneau catching the ball with his foot on the bag then backing away long before the runner touched the bag. I expect this call will be on Sportsline tonite. It was so obvious a blown call.

7. Hey gang,

Thanks for the kudos, if it were only for a win by the good guys! :smile:
    Since three of the four photo well shooting positions give good shots, the fourth only rarely, I plot out my shots based upon available light, the pitcher on "the bump" if they're lefty or righty, and the team at bat. I only wish I were as good at describing my technique as Mike was, that was awesome.

I also work to cover what I'm given by a particular shooting position. FYI, Since the inside well on the 3rd base line was filled in the 9th inning, literally, I stayed in the inside well on 1st base to get what I could. I shot Joel Zumaya from the off side which mean shooting several pitches to get his release point and reaction shots, and to get the right handed batters in the box, that and the Twins on deck circle shots along with dugout reactions too. Sometimes you miss a shot like one guy next to me did at the same time I goofed, we both chose to shoot the batter and go off the third baseman just as a liner was hit and he snagged it, we both said DAMN, semi under our breath and laughed!

Everything you see here is edited in camera, meaning no cropping at all except #6 and #11, since I played each one slightly loose based upon the situation at hand. All were run through my PS CS2 action which slightly sharpens the shot.

To Tyrone's point, thanks man! These were taken with the D2X and D2H, I'm still only lusting for the D3, D300, and now D700. :smile:
    D2X with 70-200 + TC14 on, #'s 1, 4, 10, 13, 14
    D2H with 400mm f2.8 on #'s 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 15

Keith, I feel your pain! I have seen a few of those the past couple of years, but very few. One went against the Tigers in the bottom of the 8th too, but at that point another run wouldn't have mattered. Hey, you guys got 3 out of 4, and game 1 was a total gift too, oh well, some days you win, some days you lose, some days it rains!

8. steve
    a great series.... of course
    some wonderful shots
    i really appreciate that you take the time to share these with us

9. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    great shots as usual

I can almost read the writing on the bat in the swing and a miss shot

10. Steve some great shots. I see Zumi is back, glad to see he still got it even though he hasn't hit 100 yet.

11. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I like all the images and the depth of field. Image #10 is my favorite. Well done, and thanks for sharing!

12. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Oh, he's hit 100, just not that game!

Steve, nicely done, I like that you get the 'other' shots, nice one of Grandy, and I like the Inge shot too....

13. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Steve another well executed outing -I may not always comment but I always look at your BB
    Well done

14. Love the body shape in No. 3, the rain looks cool too.

15. Thanks Brooks, I was going for that shot and got it on the second pitch too! Somehow I can notice these things and then aim for them, call it luck or whatever but it's cool to actually get to capture it. Then I get a downpour to add a little character to the shot too, this blind squirrel found his nut in the 1st inning!

Thanks Mark, you know I appreciate your comments and opinions since you do such an amazing job yourself. :smile:

Oh yeah he has! I just didn't get to see it on Saturday, but what's the big deal about 100mph vs three in a row at 99mph? :smile:
    The Grandy shot was fun since he's such a fave of the kids, and you can tell he likes doing it. I should tell you about my conversations with him, he's such a great kid, great player, AND has TWO degrees from UIC (Univ of Illinois-Chicago) too, wow eh?

Thanks Zee, a lot of folks really like #10 too because of the action, the great background and the bokeh from the lens and DOF. This is why I shoot that shot from that position, it just works!!

16. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Sweet series of images here Steve, you pretty much nailed everything!
    #3 and #10 are my fav.

Just curious, do you shoot every home series of the Tigers?

17. Hey Brian,

I have been shooting nearly every home series for the Tigers, but not every game... that is until the past month. Oh well. I won't be shooting there again until late August due to scheduling. Details.

18. Tim I know, just meant since he's been back. I know it hasn't been long, he'll break it soon. Although consistent 99s are as good.

19. Very nice!
    Lots of personality.
    Fred