Developing a Winter theme

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Dec 28, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Took this today and wanted to develop the winter feel to it.

Hope it has worked, but as always would appreciate comments, good or bad.

All the best

Ray

original

[​IMG]

Processed

[​IMG]

2. It is a "cool" look (no pun intended)....I like it :wink: great composition in the photo, by the way

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice Ray,
    Beautiful image

No snow on the mountains :>))))))

4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Gale

Many thanks

Thought about that but just wondered how you would get snow on the mountains in photoshop?

Any ideas?

All the best

Ray

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lolol Ray, I have no clue. There was no snow on the original. Was teasing you :>))))))))

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hey Gale -

I will get you back for that one!!!!!!:biggrin:

Funnily though I really had thought about some white to the mountains but.......

a while back on dpreview I attempted to put snow into a picture and the effect was...........................a disaster:eek:

Just wondered if there is an effective way - perhaps someone here will come up with answer.

The white that I have got to come through was actually frost and I used PWL and other effects to get it stronger. Anyway, wait and see.

Again Gale, as always - thanks.

All the best

Ray

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    HEEEHEEE

Gotta have fun to ey Ray :>)))

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Adjusted

Hi

Following some advice in another forum I have toned down the house a little as it was blown out.

Also added some clouds whilst at it.

Hope it improves it a little.

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow that is even prettier..

heehee on the other forum you said there were no sheep in this one...hahahahaha what are those 4 legged white fuzzy things.

rofl

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Gale - this may be of interest

Hi gale

You may like to have a look at what is happening on the other forum.

Whilst printing the image - the first heavily processed one I have actually printed, Snook posted for the second time re PWL and said it would print horrible. (he used stronger language than that!!!!)

I looked at my print - shock - horror - he was right.

I have posted again a completely new thread identifying that whn we process so heavily - they may look ok on screen - but for print, they must be toned down.

Mike Warren (MIWA in the other forum) was already aware of this and has posted back saying that he recognised the problem and actually has two settings if you like - one for PC, the other for print!!!!

So.......lesson learnt for me!

Interesting though.

Now..............................................back to those sheep:biggrin:

All the best

Ray

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes I have been over there Ray.....

I am there alottttttttttt of the time :>)))) Have seen all the goodies.

Sometines I forget when you print it is a different ball game.
    However, home printer and a pro lab may be different.

I should get an 8x10 from you and see how my guy prints it :>))))) If he can, then I could send it to you.

You know something real special that you did not want to tone down. Orrrr I guess you could e-mail it to him as well.

Let me know if that is ever something you might want to do :>)))

12. Hi Ray,

I have been watching as you have posted images modified with the paint with light action. I agree they are dramatic but oft times they are almost Alice In Wonderland looking. This is not meant as a knock on your considerable talent at manipulating images. This current post piqued my interest and so I wanted to see what I could do with just normal processing of that image. This rendition will print well and looks more normal IMHO. I did not try to replace the sky but this would improve the image a great deal as well. What do you think?

original.

By way of critique for your image, the one thing I would do is to not "light" up the hedge as this then becomes a barrier to people looking at your image. Because it is first in the image and then the lightest as well it is a distraction rather than an invite to your photo. Hope this helps.

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Gordon

Hi Gordon

That is great - I love everything about the processing.

Any chance of e mailing the psd or workflow - it is super.

Out of interest I printed my original processed image - disaster!!!

It looked completely wrong.

I have posted in dpreview about this issue and whilst the manipulation may look ok on screen, albeit (and I agree) Alice in Wonderland or as I say, Walt Disney like, they do not print well.

I think there is a need to decide on which media the image will be shown as the processing for each is different.

Coincidentally, I reworked that image before seeing yours and came up with this - which does print ok.

It is nearer to yours but I would still like to know what you did Gordon as it is very nice indeed.

Here is my amended version.

Very best wishes and thanks very much - really apreciated

Ray

[​IMG]

14. Hi Ray,

I didn't have some magical formula for fixing your image, I just sort of follow my instincts for what will improve it. Generally I did the following:

1. Applied a tiny bit of sharpening.
    2. Used a Velvia plug in from Fred Miranda to increase color saturation.
    3. Used the Highlight/Shadow tool to increase the light in the shadows and decrease the highlights just a little.
    4. Increased the contrast just a tiny bit and decreased the brightness a little.
    5. Used the burn tool on parts of the hilside and the lead in road.

That is pretty much it and I didn't spend more than 10 minutes overall on the image. As I said I would have replaced the sky if I had more time with the image.

15. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Gordon

Hi Gordon

Many thanks for the workflow - seems a lot easier than the route I go down!!!!

Must give it a try - really appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help - as always very grateful.

All the best

Ray

16. Hi Ray - I've been looking at this image for some time, both here and over at DPR - I love it and played with the latest take on it by Gordon. There was something about the distant hills that bothered me -- there was something not right about the "foggy" look of those hills given the very blue sky, and the sunlight on the rest of the image. So, I burned in those hills a little to bring out the fall color. You may not like it this way, but it was fun playing! :smile:

17. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Diane

Diane I am just getting a red cross where the picture should be.

Could you check please - thanks a lot

Ray

18. It's showing up for me, Ray - don't know what the problem could be.:confused:

19. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Diane

Hi Diane

Now showing and really lovely - I think that extra processing helps those hills, brings out the details.

Realy nice and very much appreciated.

Very many thanks

Ray