1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Developing Film

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a lot of film built up, as I have not felt like developing for a couple months. So I took four rolls of trix ...

[​IMG]

and mixed up some chemistry to develop them ...

[​IMG]

chilled it all to an acceptable temperature (remember folks, it's been in the high 40's (celcius) here) ...

[​IMG]

and spooled them all into my four roll tank:

[​IMG]

Then it was shake ...

[​IMG]

shake ...

[​IMG]

shake. Notice the nitrile glove on the top of the tank? The hard rubber lid had cracked most of the way around. I was paranoid of light leaking during the development, AND of sloshing chemistry all over the bathroom! I splurged five bucks and bought a replacement yesterday. It was the last one in the store! Whew!

[​IMG]

Finally it was time for the wash (two faucets, no waiting!) ...

[​IMG]

and then hang them for an hours to dry:

[​IMG]

Here are the results:

[​IMG]

Four down and ... twelve to go!

2. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Cool!
    Looking forward to the big versions!
    Love the light coming in on the temporarily decommissioned shower head.

3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Just like you Chris : I have 12 Tri-X waiting to be developped but somehow I'm just too lazy at the moment :frown:

I don't even know what is on 90% of those rolls, that's going to be the good surprise once I pass my laziness :biggrin:

4. Great show and tell film development series..now can I see the 1:1..versions.

Thanks Chris!

5. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Yep, I know that. Developed 6 rolls last weekend. Most of them accumulated since Easter, with the exception of a roll of Konica IR750 that has been spending (exposed!) the last couple of years in the fridge (and even moved across town with us)...

I notice those contacts are 7 strips of 5 - do you limit yourself to 35/roll?

6. Cool series Chris, brings back a lot of memories:smile: a four roll tank? How long have those been around? Guess they were way out of my money bracket in 70?

7. You have a 4-roll tank!!! That's mass production compared to my one roll take.

Nice show and tell series.

8. Thanks for sharing this, Chris! On a sidenote, you could get a job modeling rings and
    wristwatches. ;o)

Looking at the strips, looks like you caught some great shots! Hope to see some soon
    and reminds me I need to finish my first roll of 400TX.

9. Chris,

Great little exposé on developing your own B&W film. I know the feeling, I have a serious backlog of film waiting to be developed in all formats and types. Even have a bunch of Kodachrome 64 waiting to be shipped off to Dwayne's.

As for tanks, I have a very big Jobo that will hold a dozen rolls of 35mm. Inverting it when full is as good as a session at the gym!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
  10. I was trying to think of a way you could use 2 rolls to document the act of developing those same 2 rolls....that would be cosmic. First roll shows the setup, finish shooting that roll, second roll shows 1st roll developing...uh...I have a headache now.

Sean

11. Thanks--I now feel old and nostalgic! :biggrin: Oh what memories that brings back!

12. nice! i got to start utilizing my tank more... i never developed more than one roll at the time. i need to start being more time efficient.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks everybody! It's been at least a month since I've developed anything. Even after these four, I still have 6 rolls (3 120 and 3, no 4 now 35mm) left to soup.

Tormod, that one has a really nice look to the old shower. Julien, it sounds like you need to use Lynn's tank! Patience PJ! I shoot the whole roll Arno, until the film runs out. I put the tails in another sheet, all together, labeled with the roll it came from. They still have them Tom, it's a stainless tank with a hard rubber lid. I prefer the smaller steel tanks with the metal lid. I've never used a single roll tank Bill, I should, as I have a roll I am unlikely to get another one needing the same development for a while. Sounds good Bill R, except for this! Lynn, do the rolls all stack vertically? I would really like to see how that tank works! One problem I have with the four roll tank is that the chemicals cover the first roll about 15 seconds before they get to the last one! This gives the bottom rolls more time than the top ones. Sean, it's just like lying to the robot in TOS Star Trek. "You took a picture of me taking a picture of you but I was developing my film when you developed the picture of me taking your picture of ... beep beep beep - Norman, coordinate! ... Boom!" (Actually, I used a digicam.) Nick, nostalgia/nossmalgia! I develop film regularly right now in "The Future™"! Indeed Roman, I hate wasting the space in the tank on less than a full load. Although I usually use two roll tanks. Sometimes I do get impatient waiting for the second roll to finish getting exposed!

14. Wow, Chris, how did that happen? I'm counting 21-22 sutures from what I can see. Reminds
    me of sewing Marines in Iwakuni, Japan (lots of these to do when they get into little
    "misunderstandings" at New Sorento's, etc, on the weekends).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
  15. fun!!!! Every time I stop in this forum I feel like unpacking my b&w stuff again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.