Dialing in the 500

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hangin tree, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Definitely nice light. You're dialed in!
  2. Thanks David

I had Clouds Yesterday and sun today, The birds tend to stay in the shadows and I've been blowing whites trying to get body detail. I got some good shots yesterday and today. It is just using it in different conditions and using and trusting the histograms for exposure.
  3. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hi Gary,

There is to my eye a marked improvement in sharpness with this set of images. These are excellent!

When you say 500mm do you mean the 500/4 IS?

4. Thanks Andy

Yes I'm using the Canon 500mm L IS USM and a Canon 1.4 TC I was having Exposure issues on both sides these were shot at -1.0. It seem I would look in the LCD view and it would look OK but when I got it home I found Small issues. I'm now using the Histogram and the LCD in combination to get better results.

BTW I thought you were the fellow that didn't care for Tree BG's? LOL

I'm using these environmental pictures to better show elements where they Raise their young. The Eaglet is now a Month Old.

Thanks for commenting and I'd like to see you again out with your camera.
  5. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Not if they are done well and a part of the story as these are!

It has been my experience that minus 1 or even more is appropriate for eagles in a setting such as this. Those white heads are tough to keep in check sometimes.

Still don't know when I'll get back to shooting. Work is a busy and long proposition right now. A few minutes in the yard is about the extent of it.
  6. Well I really appreciate your comments, Please Look in once in a while see I don't Stray.

Thanks Andy
  7. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow 500 and tc
    Ohhhhh so envious:>)))

Beautiful shots
    Yes I love the trees, makes the images beautiful and alive

8. Thanks Gale

I bought the lens for this project as I knew that I would be working at distance for many shots. I don't jump shoot birds often, normally I setup for my shots and wait.
  9. Incredible set!! I really enjoy your work.
  10. You dialed in really Well - great shots!
  11. Thanks Crystall

I very much appreciate your comment on my work
  12. Thank you Nick

It is a work in progress and I'm pretty happy with these results.
  13. Looks pretty well dialed in to me! :wink:
  14. Thanks Jim

I was having some issues with exposure, but these came out pretty good
  15. I have found that I get better exposure on eagles when I use center weighted metering. YMMV...
  16. I've been using evalutive because Every shot is not Dead center focus. Some of these shots the bird is bigger than the frame, especially with wing extention.
  17. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Nice shots Gary. I'm about to send you another PM, so check it out. :smile:
  18. These are really nice. They look very similar to a nest I have been monitoring here in Florida. I've been using -0.7 to -1.0 EV when the birds are in the trees like this to avoid blowing the white heads.

My eaglets left the nest this week.:frown:

Here is a link to my similar eagle in tree shots.

19. I'll check it out.

Nice shots and I see the similarity