Dialup

It is quite disappointing to be unable to look at many pictures because the files are so large. The area in which I live does not have fast speed internet. Would it be possible to remind members of this problem and let us enjoy their pictures also. Thanks

Irene.

I hear you. Just a month ago I had dial-up at 26.4k. YIKES. That is slow. I finally bit the bullet and paid the installation fee for satellite internet. It works pretty good (mainly does not work real well in T-Storms). Other than that I am pretty happy with it. If you can afford the heavy installation fees it is well worth it. I can now browse picture forums, update windows and other software, and other things like Google Earth and other bandwidth intensive things. Things that took all night or longer now happen at a reasonable rate. Nothing worse than downloading a huge service pack from Microsoft and after hours and hours come and check and find out that connection failed or whatever. REALLY, IF YOU CAN GET -GET IT. I now browse the pic forums on this site everyday and it is pleasureable and fun.

There are 2 major satellite internet services out there that I know of. 1 is Direcway and the other, which I have, is Wildblue. Both have escalating plans - that is, the more you pay the faster speeds you get. I have the cheapest plan and am happy with the speed. PM Me if you have questions about it.

Oh yeah, upload speeds are faster than dial-up but, not as fast as download speeds. I can however, upload pics to my pic site much much faster than I used to.

I believe most pics on the site are in compliance with the forums rules. And as I understand it - If pics are too large (greater than 960 width) they will be automatically resized to 960. I think most try to get the size of the pics around 100-200k.

Yep...I just got back from Crested Butte where i used AOL dail-up for eight days.
Sloooooooooowwww!

I feel your pain.
Even a "tiny" 100k file is a pain at snail's pace.

AGREEEEEED !!!!!!!!!!

MIGHT HELP TO POST URL TO THE GALLERY AND THE PIC. SOMETINES THAT IS BETTER..

I DON'T POST BIG ONES.

But I will try to post the link to the pic...So they can view smaller.

I just had to up-grade my service because of this...can't really afford that. :>)))

Thanks all for your consideration.

Oh yeah - One more thought.

Check and see if your dial-up provider has an accelerator. It is an extra peice of software that communicates with the provider servers. My dial-up provider had this option for $5/month. It really did help a bunch. Text Pages downloaded much faster and pages with graphics were much faster. Typically, you have the option on how much compression to use on graphics. I used 4 out of 5 strongest compression. Pics come out reasonable (and download dramatically faster) and you can also reload a pic w/o compression if you find one you really like. Some providers have this service free of charge.

Mark,

I used to use NETZERO, great service, never had a prob. 10 a month and then the 4.95 for the boost.
Great Idea. (did not get the boost though)
Would recommend netzero to anyone.

I still have my account and have 10 free hours a month.

Good thought.

ohhhhh PS.... I can still access my e-mail with them by just going to the web site and logging in...:>)))))

Irenejoy said:
It is quite disappointing to be unable to look at many pictures because the files are so large. The area in which I live does not have fast speed internet. Would it be possible to remind members of this problem and let us enjoy their pictures also. Thanks

I also share your pain. At home, I have DSL, and it works great. At my summer trailer, I only have dial-up, and really can't view mst of the large pictures on the Cafe. The result is that I just don't try, while I am at the trailer. :D

gho

I tried that by using clicky thumbnails, but it wasn't too popular. Sometimes I get lazy and don't code it and just pop the image in with the image tags, so dial-up users must suffer.

[/b[url]http://www.ximinasphotography.com/galleries/displayimage.php?pos=-2675]
color][color=blue][b]
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/url]

Becomes a clicky thumbnail:

gho

greyflash said:
I have been so spoiled that I can barely remember the dialup days. I can only feel for you.
I'm constantly reminded because wireless connects at 56K speeds on my PDA (a bit faster than dial-up, but not by much).

Perhaps someone should post a poll asking how many have which categories of connection, i.e. dial-up, DSL, cable. Would be interesting to see the statistics.

As I don't know how to do this I suggest it as a project for one of our more experienced members.

Thanks for all your replies. The Province in which I live has promised to have high speed internet by the end of this year for everyone. I will believe it when it happens. I do have the accelerater on the computer and this does help. However, it compresses the pictures so you have to click on show the original in order to get a picture that isn't pixilated. My sons keep rubbing it in of course that they have fast speed because they live in a city lol

We did a poll here,

Pa said:
Perhaps someone should post a poll asking how many have which categories of connection, i.e. dial-up, DSL, cable. Would be interesting to see the statistics.

As I don't know how to do this I suggest it as a project for one of our more experienced members.
and the vast majority of users had high speed connections. Sort'a goes with the territory, if you want to view lots'a pics.

Latest threads

Top Bottom