Dicast car

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by nburwell, Oct 10, 2005.

1. I definitely must say that I miss you ladies and gentlemen here on the forums. As I'm sure most of you have noticed, I have been MIA for a month or two now. Due to taking 20 credits and working two jobs, I don't have much time to come on here, let alone do any sort of photography work. I was able to break out the D70 this afternoon and photograph this dicast model car that my dad has sitting on a book case. I liked the lighting the lights in the basement were giving off, and I added some "flare" per se in PS.

carinred.

2. We have missed you Nick. Good luck with your classes et. al. Like your image it has great lighting. Is it Deusenburg??

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi nick-

i like the lighting, but i think you need a bit more DOF. ideally i'd like to see the whole car in focus, but if you can't get enough DOF with your settings, focus more on the front of the car. gordon buehrig did a wonderful job on the front of the cord, so draw attention to it :)

ricky

4. Thanks Gordon and Ricky for your comments!

Ricky, I did go back and shoot this with a bigger DOF. The AF actually focused on the side of the car, rather than the front of the car (which I was actually trying to focus on). Thank you for your advice though. Once I PP my reshot image, I'll post it.

5. Artorius

Artorius

May 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    This is my biggest complaint against AF Macro...

you do not get the option of focus. Your shots look good, but YOU didn't get the chance to choose where to focus.
    I do a LOT of jewelry(rings) shooting. I NEED to know where the focus point is BEFORE I take the shot.
    I use a Nikon MF Micro-Nikkor 105mm 1:4 and a PN-11 for these types of shots. This allows me to chose where and at what what f/stop I want.
    My set-up is a;
    D1x or h(both have split focus screens and DK-17m eyepieces.
    Nikon micro-nikkor 105mm f/4(chipped)
    PN-11 (eletrified)
    It may take a few minutes to set up, but I get what I want. I would love a faster lens but I find I don't really need it , as most of my macro is well thought out in advance of the shoot anyway.