Did anyone notice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GonzoBernelli, Jul 24, 2007.

1. that it is already tomorrow morning in Japan and there is diddly-squat announced on Nikon Japan (English site = http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/news/index.htm )

Looks like Photokina in September if they are holding one this year.

No candles, no cake.
    No banner page saying "HOORAY, WE MADE 90 YEARS!"
    Nothing, zip, zilch, nada, rien, nicht

2. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    you would think that there would be some kind of celebration for 90 year anniversary.

3. What are we expecting to hear?

Oh, nevermind... prolly a D5Xs with 25mpxl, SFF (super full frame), in a kit form with a 10-600 f/1.4 VR that weighs in at 2lbs.... I always skip those threads :biggrin:

4. They're busy finishing the D3.

5. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Or starting rumor threads.

6. Hi Nick

from what I heard, today could just be the "starting" of more concrete "rumors" about what's going on the Nikon HQ. I don't think there will be something "official". Just some light at the end of the tunnel, or a reason to hope so.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Not till end of the year guys:>)))))

Take your gear and go shoot some beautiful images

8. Personally since the consumer market has been so profitable for them I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nikon abandoned the Pro segment all together.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ahahahahaha

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Is it really that far fetched an idea? Don't get me wrong I'm as eager to see the D3 finally come out as anyone else but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next "big thing" to come out from them was another consumer body. How about yet another upgrade to the D40 line? Or a D60 that is essentially the same thing as a D40 but with the lens drive

The D3 or whatever their next pro body is so overdue that I'm starting to believe it may never happen. Like those new car models that you see at car shows that never make the show room floor.

Of course I hope I'm wrong.

11. Logan

Logan Guest

i think that that is an extremely farfetched idea, i mean... they would essentually lose all of their followers who buy the big $ glass and lose ALOT of business, that would be the most ridiculous mistake they could make

12. Yea but their pro glass is regularly out of stock just about everywhere. Anytime a 17-55 f/2.8, The Beast or the 70-200 f/2.8 go on sale here they are gone within 24 to 48 hours. That could be because of the good deals but it can also be because they are so hard to get anywhere else.

There have been several threads here that have spoken about how Nikon makes most of their money on the consumer bodies. The D40 and D40X are supposedly their hottest selling items, along with the kit lenses they come with.

Now if they make most of their money from the Consumer bodies and non-pro glass why invest time and money into R&D for the D3 or new pro glass?

Once again I really hope I'm wrong I just don't think its so farfetched an idea.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They will have both
    Remember D40 etc are DSLR NOT P&S

14. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I think the pro line meaningfully brands Nikon as a quality name, and by implication, sells the quality of their consumer DSLRs. Also, the R&d done there my lead to future discriminators in their prosumer bodies and lenses.

I'll bet those in the know are getting big chuckles over some of the speculative posts in these forums.

15. I don't expect that, but would be willing to bet that there will be no replacement for the D2Hs. Canon essentially owns that market and Nikon may see no point in the kind of spending it would take to regain a worthwhile share of it. Why not spend the money on a competitive replacement for the D2Xs - a la the rumored 1.1 crop, high MP, low noise, D3everything body? Add HSC for 8fps to provide a speed mode for folks who don't mind looking through a crop mask and, voila, you have a great general purpose camera. Not what I'm looking for, but it might work for Nikon.

16. If midnight GMT passes, which it about to, then I think that the waiting will continue on for a while longer.

Don

17. I just love it when Nikon starts to play with our heads...........hehe..haha..hoho...to the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time..:eek::biggrin::confused:

18. I thought their 90th Anniversary was on the 25th?

19. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    the D300 will be coming out in November 2007 I heard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.