Did I get the purple out?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chris101, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I had posted this image previously, however I had set the white point by clicking on the foam. This time I carefully watched the histogram as I hand-adjusted the white point with the two sliders in ACR. I stopped when I got no purple areas on the right side. In fact it was pretty much all gray, just like it really was that foggy morning on the Oceanside beach for these pipers:

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

Much better. :p

Is it really true that you are color blind? If so, what exactly does that mean in your case? Can you not see any colors, or just some?

Regards,

Frank

3. Makes me want to take a stroll on the beach. Thanks for sharing.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    (long, but you knew that.)

Thanks guys!

Yes Frank, I am 'colorblind'. There are several flavors of colorblindness, mine being called 'deuteranopic' that is, missing the M cones from my retina. About 4% of males have one form of colorblindness, mine is the third most common. Seeing no colors, called achromatic, is extremely rare.

The L and S cones also detect green, but I have trouble telling the difference between some - mostly unsaturated - colors, for example, I might think a pale green is pink, purple, brown or gray. This is why I need computerized feedback for color balancing - I literally cannot tell if a photo has a magenta cast.

(I've written about it on my blog, color theory to color blindness in order to understand how I see all the colors with only two color detectors, here: http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/2003/06/16.html#a576.)

In order to remove a purple cast, I white balance by hand, unless there is something in the photo KNOWN to be neutral, such as a gray card. I use ACR and move the red-blue (Temperature) and green-magenta (tint) sliders until there are no leading - that is, showing on the high side - magenta areas. Then once finished with any gamma or contrast adjustments, I'll check for magenta: In Photoshop, go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation. Then in the Saturation dialog, choose Magentas from the menu that says Master and slide the Saturation slider to 100%. Now even I can see any magenta as garish purple or pink. If there are more than a few points, or large sheets of it, turn it gray by sliding the Saturation control left, otherwise hit Cancel.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh, and Gordon, I'll bet that my other picture (posted in the Landscape section) doesn't make you want to walk on the beach!

6. Hi Chris,

Color blind or not, IMHO, you have the eye for compistion. Great picture.

Regards.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: (long, but you knew that.)

Chris, I'm sorry for your 'affliction', but you certainly don't seem to let it get in the way of taking some nice shots. :p

I feel a little embarrassed :oops: by my 'it looks purple' comment, but hey, I didn't know. :shock:

I'll try to be a little more sensitive in the future.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank