1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Did I go wrong? D100...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by shannonfrydesigns, Apr 7, 2007.

1. I bumped up from a panasonic point and shoot, and got a great deal on a Nikon D100, barely used and a brand new Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens...

I shoot simple outdoor portraits 99% of the time... I was really looking at the D80, but my budget just wasn't budging... Did I get a good camera for what I do? Will it help my pictures 100% than from the p&s?

I played with the D80 and a fuji and then this... the price was right, and I spent two hours in the camera shop playing and talking... the salesman assure me I would be happy... but I guess I need a little more... for those of you who use a D100, are you happy?

Thanks!
    Shannon

2. pjwarneka

pjwarneka

Oct 30, 2006
    I don't own one but I have shot with it. good camera. nice and solid. I think it is a very good start if you have a budget - I think you will love it after you shoot a bit more with it.

Patrick

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jarrell shoots with a D100, take a look at his shots here. He is wonderfully talented with his D100 and you will also enjoy yours. Send him a private message and ask some questions to ease your conscious.

4. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I think you'll like the lens. I just got one this week and really enjoy it. Can't afford Pro glass, and I wanted to upgrade from the 18-70. I think the Tamron is a nice alternative. I don't have the D100, but from everything i've heard, it's an awesome camera. Enjoy. Just wondering, was the D100 that much less than a D70s or D50?

5. The D100 is a great little camera for the money, no question about it. I shot for a company last year that used D100's almost exclusively. The only thing that bothered me was the small LCD.

But I moved very easily for between my D200 and their D100. Much easier than between my D200 and my son's D70s. I mention this because the D100 has more of a pro camera layout than the D70/s, D50, .... I'm sure you notice no sense modes; easy controls for ISO, WB; cable release option; etc that are much closer to the D200 then the D80. So when you upgrade the D200 will be a much easier move.

6. I loved my D100 and so when I upgraded I had it converted to IR and still own it. I have taken some great shots with it.

7. The D100 is a great camera and you should enjoy it.

8. I have used my D100 for quite a few years. I love it. Would I trade it for a D200, you bet. Would I trade it for a D80, maybe. I D40x, no way. When I buy a replacement, it will be the D300 or D3H (or whatever).

Don't sweat the purchase and enjoy learning and shooting.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent camera
    Not good for fast action shooting. Other than that it is great
    If I did not shoot birds and sports I would prob still have it
    Got the D200 now , and see no reason to change to any other camera now:>)))

10. Well I do intend to bump up the D200 one day, hopefully in the next six months, we'll see. I hope to play some with the camera today... I want to set up and shoot the same object with my p&s and then this and compare... at least I bettered myself as far as camera. And no, I won't shoot actions sport except a few coach pitch games this summer... And my p&s did good, so I can't see why this won't be a little better.

Thanks everyone!

Shannon

11. I loved my D100 when I had one, in fact one of my most popular photos was taken with it (london eye at night photo, in the misc section of my website if your interested).

You'll really enjoy it don't worry :) 

12. When you do your comparison you will most likely have to do some post processing to the D100 files to see the difference, but the D100 is capable of producing fine photos comparable to some of the very best cameras.

13. It has AI

The D100 has an amazing but little known Artificial Intelligence module built in. As the owner exercises its features more, AND becomes more skilled at processing the camera's output, the image quality mysteriously improves. :910: Most P&S cams don't have this feature, which explains their lower prices. :biggrin:

14. I'd say the D100 & Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 will make a great combo... whether or not you got a good deal will likely depend on what you paid for the pair. I'd say anything under $700 would be acceptable, anything under $600 would be a very good deal.

15. I paid 549 for the camera and grip, slightly used, and I can say it looks brand new...

The lens was retail at 499, but I got a bunch of freebies. I got a $40 camera bag, extra battery, nack strap, and then I knocked them down half price on a 2gb compact flash card.

Is that a good deal?

16. I even looked the camera up on ebay, used it's bringing roughly 500-600 plus s&h fees, and the lens brand new is bringing about 450 plus s&h fees. So I think thas it sounded good to me.

Not to knock ebay, but just because they say it's new, or even mint in used, doesn't mean it always is... Atleast I knew what I was buying and got the camera place's backup and return policy.

17. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    You did just fine, Shannon -- now stop fretting and start shooting! You're wasting daylight!

18. If you got the camera, grip, lens, and accessories for $549 then I'd say you did very well.

19. I know!!!! And now I'm stuck at work! I have my next big shoot this weekend, I guess we'll see how it goes then... In the mean time I'll try to come up with something tonight.

20. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Looks like a good price, but at that figure, you could have gotten a used D70s or D50 and had cash left over. While not the build of the D100, they are both nice cameras, and newer. Only reason i'm mentioning this is because you seem to be looking for reasons to like the D100.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.