1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Did I make a good Choice Tamron 17-50mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by alemmo, Sep 29, 2008.

1. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Hey Everyone,

Just wanting to know if you think I made a wise choice. I just picked up the older version Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 used for $300 shipped.

I plan on having it replace my Nikon 18-105mm. I used the Nikon at a friends wedding this weekend and wasn't all that impressed with it compared to what I was getting with my Tamron 90mm 2.8. I was really liking the use of the shallow DOF for taking pictures of people.

I'm hoping i want miss the extra range of the 18-105 and hoping the Image quality is superior on the 17-50mm. What do you all think?

I was recently looking at my New England trip where I took 1200 pictures and used the 18-135mm lens a lot and noticed most of my images shot with that lens were in the 18-50 range so hopefully I won't miss the rest. And I do have the Nikon 70-300mm VR when I need more.

2. Wileec

Wileec Guest

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I can't speak to the older version, but I have the current one and it's been perfect for the shots I've used it for. My main use has been for landscape and real wide angle kinds of shots. I tend to use my 50mm f/1.8 when I need stuff at that end.

3. I'm happy with the copy I have. It is the screw drive version [if that is the older version you refer to]. The Tamron replaced my 18-55 kit lens, and I think a great improvement in speed and IQ over the 18-55.

Post some images when you get your copy.

4. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    oh i'll be sure too. I think the Tamron 90mm 2.8 spoiled me. That is an awesome lens. I would love to have the Nikon 17-55mm but it is out of my budget for the moment so i'm hoping the Tamron 17-50mm will suffice.

This was taken with the Tamron 90mm during wedding setup the day before.

p746382891-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. Assuming that you get a good copy, it is an excellent, excellent lens. You should be happy.

6. I can't see the image, Andrew. It says "Content protected by owner". I looked at your Zenfolio link... awesome images.

7. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    OK i think I fixed it now. I had it in a protected gallery. Thank you very much for the compliments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.