Did I make a good Choice Tamron 17-50mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by alemmo, Sep 29, 2008.

1. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Hey Everyone,

Just wanting to know if you think I made a wise choice. I just picked up the older version Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 used for $300 shipped.

I plan on having it replace my Nikon 18-105mm. I used the Nikon at a friends wedding this weekend and wasn't all that impressed with it compared to what I was getting with my Tamron 90mm 2.8. I was really liking the use of the shallow DOF for taking pictures of people.

I'm hoping i want miss the extra range of the 18-105 and hoping the Image quality is superior on the 17-50mm. What do you all think?

I was recently looking at my New England trip where I took 1200 pictures and used the 18-135mm lens a lot and noticed most of my images shot with that lens were in the 18-50 range so hopefully I won't miss the rest. And I do have the Nikon 70-300mm VR when I need more.

2. Wileec

Wileec Guest

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I can't speak to the older version, but I have the current one and it's been perfect for the shots I've used it for. My main use has been for landscape and real wide angle kinds of shots. I tend to use my 50mm f/1.8 when I need stuff at that end.

3. I'm happy with the copy I have. It is the screw drive version [if that is the older version you refer to]. The Tamron replaced my 18-55 kit lens, and I think a great improvement in speed and IQ over the 18-55.

Post some images when you get your copy.

4. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    oh i'll be sure too. I think the Tamron 90mm 2.8 spoiled me. That is an awesome lens. I would love to have the Nikon 17-55mm but it is out of my budget for the moment so i'm hoping the Tamron 17-50mm will suffice.

This was taken with the Tamron 90mm during wedding setup the day before.

p746382891-5.jpg

5. Assuming that you get a good copy, it is an excellent, excellent lens. You should be happy.

6. I can't see the image, Andrew. It says "Content protected by owner". I looked at your Zenfolio link... awesome images.

7. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    OK i think I fixed it now. I had it in a protected gallery. Thank you very much for the compliments.