Did I make a mistake? 70-200mm VRII purchase

I just won an auction for a barely used (twice) 70-200mm VRII lens as I am trying to sell off most of my lenses and bodies and have much less gear that I will use. My main bodies will be the D300s, D2X, & D90 although full frame is possible in the future but I like the 1.5 crop factor. I plan on picking up a 17-55mm lens and this will be my main lens combination. I was just reading about some of the breathing issues and losing focal length on the newer VRII and was wondering if this is a big factor for all of you who have switched. Should I sell it and get the older version and save money which would be nice? I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it but would love advice from the pros here....HELP!!!!!

I upped from the VRI to the VRII. The VRI was and is an awesome lens. The VRII is awesomer. It is glued to my D300s, and when I use it on my D3, it's with a 1.4 TC. the VRII takes TC's better than the VRI, and the IQ is awesome. AF is blazing fast. Keep it by all means.

Buyer's remorse? If you sell the lens you're likely to lose money on the sale so savings for a VR I won't be as much.

I wouldn't sweat it. I run the 70-200 VR II on a D7000 and like it even more than the 70-200 VR I I had. I think the focus breathing stuff was vastly overblown on Internet forums. It's even less of a factor on DX.

Thanks, I feel much better. Yes, I have some buyers remorse...just spent a lot of $$$$$ but I am sure I will love it.

I felt the same way initially with my VRII, but after I've learned its capabilities and how to fully utilize it for what I want to capture, I'm starting to love it more and more. It produces super sharp images even wide open, with great clarity and deep, vivid colors. As for the focus breathing, I don't even notice it.

Enjoy it, it's one of the best lens you'll ever own.

You won't regret your purchase of the 70 200mm! The 17 55mm f/2.8 is also the best there is for a DX lens.

If you are considering FX in the future, you definitely should keep the VRII. If this is the case, you should also reconsider buying a 17-55.

The VRII is the better lens. The focus breathing is mostly overblown, in terms of actual effect on shooting. I'd trade my VRI for a VRII if given the chance.

I know the feeling, I bought the same lens 3 months ago. All I can say is "get over it", I did & not a moment of regret;)

I can't wait to get it and thanks for all of the advice. I am sure I will love it. I have no plans to switch to fx for now so hoping the 17-55 and 70-200 combo will work. I have a sigma 24-70 that I can use too.

I can't wait to get it and thanks for all of the advice. I am sure I will love it. I have no plans to switch to fx for now so hoping the 17-55 and 70-200 combo will work. I have a sigma 24-70 that I can use too.

If you are used to the Sigma, you will be amazed by the Nikons!

I don't mean to be rude, but don't you have enough trouble buying expensive stuff on impulse?

"Did I make a mistake? 70-200mm VRII purchase"
"Help me simplify, too much gear"
"Should I get a D2H???? HELP!!!!"
"Please help me decide- D7000, D300S, or keep my D300!"

State College, King of Prussia, PA, LBI NJ
I felt the same way initially with my VRII, but after I've learned its capabilities and how to fully utilize it for what I want to capture, I'm starting to love it more and more. It produces super sharp images even wide open, with great clarity and deep, vivid colors. As for the focus breathing, I don't even notice it.

Enjoy it, it's one of the best lens you'll ever own.

Where might one learn these things?

I am on the verge of going and picking up a VRII at my local camera shop

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom