Did I save this photograph or is it unsaveable?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by wgilles, Sep 15, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Well I took some pictures of my Dad's car (I have better ones from another day, but I like the angles on these) and they came out overexposed in some areas. I tried to save it. Did I do good or is it beyond repair?

Original
    [​IMG]

My Edit
    [​IMG]

2. Looks ok Will. Did you shoot in raw?? If so that is the best option to work with. Maybe if you have a raw file you could post it somewhere for others to have a play with.

3. TDSapp

TDSapp

Dec 13, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Well, it's just me but I think you did a good job on saving the car especially on the hood around the rally stripes. However, I think you cropped it a bit to close on the sides.

I would also like to see the front wheel turned a bit more to show more of the rim. After spending that much on the wheels you know he wants to shot them off as well. :) 

Tim

4. The car itself looks great. However, the really tight crop to help get rid of the blown out highlights in the background doesn't work for me. I'm not sure what tools you use, but with a RAW file and CS2/3 I would do this:

-Open the image in ACR, make any minor adjustments, focussing on the way the car itself looks. Then convert and open as JPG/TIFF/whateveryouuse in PS.

-Do another edit of the RAW file in ACR focussing only on the background. Drop the exposure by two stops. Then convert this file and open in PS, adding it as a separate layer to the first file. Then, create a layer mask and paint in the darkened background as needed. Adjust opacity as you go to feather any edges you make.

You may very well know all of this already, but I'm fairly new on this forum(and to Nikon) so I haven't recognized who's who and their skill levels in certain areas. I hope you don't think I'm stepping on your toes.

I also agree with turning the wheel of the car to the right. It shows off those[very expensive] rims/tires and gives the car more of an aggressive, edgy "pose".

5. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    I think your edit was pretty good, perhaps a bit too close on the crop and a little dark. Hope you don't mind but I tried an edit myself (I need the practice). :) 

I did an exposure/fill light/blacks adjustment in Adobe RAW then a levels/curves/shadow/highlight adjustment in photoshop, applied a polarizing filter as well as a little sharpening. Also tried to fill in some hotspots in the sky.

373324462_5bhzK-L.

6. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks guys, I will try out some of these techniques and see what I can do. I have a whole bunch like this.
    As far as the wheel turned, I do have a bunch of them, this one is just the first one in the series.

7. What do you think of my edit of your orignial jpeg?

Don

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  8. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I think I will just have to retake these with some better lighting, they just aren't working out to my liking. Thanks a bunch though guys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.