Did Not See That

Being an old-ish geezer, with imperfect vision (and many other faculties), I take photos with my D800E without fully seeing everything in the scene. When I do the processing and pixel peeping, I find unexpected things in my photos; amuses me.
  • In a landscape including a bracken field, I see a running fox just about to get into cover - didn't see that when I took the pic.
  • Taking a picture of a Dorset coast bay, I later realized I had included a nudist old gent walking along on the opposite side, not what I want to see!
  • Most recently, took a picture of the Beachy Head cliffs to later realize I had included a policeman talking to a lady sitting on the very edge. I checked the news, and there were no jumpers that day, thank goodness.
Anyone else experience this sort of thing?

Yes, I experience that sort of thing from time to time as I'm sure everyone does. My wife took a photo of two rhinos drinking at a water hole and had no idea that two birds had flown into the ideal part of the scene (she couldn't have planned it better). Better yet, her shutter speed displayed one of the birds with the ideal motion blur and the other one tack sharp. I often notice details in architecture and the like that are simply too small to see in the viewfinder or when viewing the scene scene without using a camera. Those details become obvious and sometimes quite interesting when displayed in a slide show projected onto a screen or displayed on a television.

Last edited:
Yep, it happens to all of us. One of the best in my memory is when my wife took a photo of a street scene in Madrid with people in traditional dress. When we looked at it later we saw she had caught a gentleman ogling a woman in a short skirt while his wife was giving him a look that could kill. All three elements were caught perfectly!

Last edited:
I constantly forget to check my background! You can get some...interesting...things. I was talking photography with my wife's ex boyfriend (nice guy) one day, and when he was at Grand Teton Nat'l Park, he took a photo of something mundane, and got a Mother Grizzly and 2 cubs in the background.
Lucky him! :)

Being an old-ish geezer, with imperfect vision (and many other faculties), I take photos with my D800E without fully seeing everything in the scene. When I do the processing and pixel peeping, I find unexpected things in my photos; amuses me.
  • In a landscape including a bracken field, I see a running fox just about to get into cover - didn't see that when I took the pic.
  • Taking a picture of a Dorset coast bay, I later realized I had included a nudist old gent walking along on the opposite side, not what I want to see!
  • Most recently, took a picture of the Beachy Head cliffs to later realize I had included a policeman talking to a lady sitting on the very edge. I checked the news, and there were no jumpers that day, thank goodness.
Yes, eyes and everything else aren't what they use to be. Thank goodness for Photoshop.

" Blow Up " is Exactly about that....a photog. taking pics. of a model in a park, then discovers that the camera had registered something more...

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Well Nick,
it's a mysterious crime story.
A London photogrpher (David Hemmings) takes some pictures in a park. He shot some pictures of a couple there.
Developing the films he noticed someting weird...

If possible watch it. Even it has length, it shows the typical 60s and is thrilling.

Kind regards
Klaus

In Blow Up the photographer was inspired by 60’s glamour photographer David Bailey. Bailey was asked and actually declined to play the role in the film. Bailey along with his contemporaries helped change the face of fashion and pop during the “Swinging Sixties”. Remember very well spending time on London’s Carnaby Street during early mid sixties.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom