1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Did she kill her drive?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Howard Barlow, Jun 30, 2008.

1. My wife (that's my story, and I'm stickin' tuit) accidently plugged her Toshiba laptop power supply, 19v, into her WD external hd, 12v. The power light on the drive started flashing off and on. Now, with the correct power supply, it is still flashing. It won't turn off, or on, and the computer cannot see it. The drive was working fine last night. Did the 19v kill it, or any ideas? I can't find any kind of reset button on the drive.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi howard-

most likely one of the boards in the external drive was fried. it's also possible that the HD itself got fried, but there's still hope. it's a good sign that a light is flashing, as this means that some of the circuitry is still operational.

you can either send it back to western digital for repair, or you can open it up and put the drive in a desktop or another external enclosure to see if the drive is still functional.

ricky

3. Ricky,
    I figure I fried the warranty, as well. So, I will probably just put it in my desktop and see what's left. But, I may call WD, first, to see what they say.Thanks.

4. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    fuse

You may have just popped a fuse. A lot of times equipment has a wide range of input voltages and they get regulated within the device. 12-24 is pretty common, you may get lucky and find that it is just a fuse.

5. Hope so, Patrick, as there is no external reset or fuse, but I am going to take the cover off and see. Thanks.

6. I took the drive out and put in one of our other usb enclosures. Yep, it let the smoke out when I plugged it in. Seems like someone around here is not too happy with me, right about now. Maybe I better stick to burning up my own stuff. Know what I mean, Vern?

7. I did the exact same thing on a Maxtor drive. It got really hot and smoked. My neighbor is a EE prof, and he said when the drive gets hot to put an ice pack on it, or put it in a ziploc and put it in the freezer. I did, and the drive started working again. That was about 3 years ago and the drive works perfectly!

Sean

8. Thanks, Sean. My wife read something similar. I guess I will give it a try. Of course, by now, it has cooled off. But, at this point, what have I got to lose?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.