Did The Deed-Images Added

Just bought the 70-200 2.8 vr. I have been thinking of buying it for about 3 month's now, tried it out a couple of times at the store and today i parted with the cash. (hands are still shaking). I just fired of a couple of hand held shots, (something i need to improve on) and they seem sharp enough :smile:
While at the store i had a look at the TC, 1.4 or the 1.7, any comments on the best choice? :confused:
Cheers Dave
3 images from the weekend,think im going to like this lens:smile:

OrangeWaterDuck.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Duck.jpg

Salt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LisaR

I can't help you on the TC Dave, but I did want to congratulate you on the new lens purchase! Please make sure and post about how you like it .... it's the number 2 item on my Lens Lust List. Won't happen for a while here ... but I can live vicariously though you and the others!!

Real Name
Mark
Congratulations. It's my favorite lens. I have a 1.4 and it works quite well. I would like to try a 1.7, but my NAS hasn't taken over completely.
You are going to love the lens.

Thanks Lisa, yes i will post some of my results, we are off on holiday to England in June so i should have plenty of shooting time.
So whats number 1 on your Lens Lust List ? Mine is the 300 2.8 vr
Cheers Dave.

Dave,

Congrats on your new lens...you'll love it!

I have the TC1.7E II and use it with the 70-200mm VR and they work great together. I was trying to decide between the three choices (1.4, 1.7, and 2.0) and asked around. Most told me to go with the 1.7 as it falls between the other two giving you the best magnification aspect yet not loosing two full f-stops. IMHO this is the best combination and I get great photos.

Hope this helps!:wink:

Hey Dave really like my 1.7 on my 70-200 here are a couple taken with my D200
132006011-L.jpg

138067979-L.jpg

132006059-L.jpg

Wanting bigger glass but I am real happy with this set up for now

Dave:
I'll second the 1.7TC suggestion. Good trade-off between reach, quality, and loss of aperture. Adds a dimension to the 70-200 which makes this high quality optic all the more useful.
Post some pix!
Cheers
Dave

L

LisaR

Dave .... number 1 on the list is the legendary 28-70. Number 2 on the list is a "body", then the 70-200. For now, that is all I "think" I need, but you know how that goes!! I've got the 70-300VR and enjoy it .... which is the main reason it will be some time before the 70-200. I just want to "speed" up my lens collection at some point.

Enjoy your trip to London ... I'm sure that you will have plenty of photos upon your return.

Just so the other side is heard I'll add my $0.02. I have the 1.7 and I'm not happy with the results I get with my 70-200, I'd get the 1.4 if I were to do it again. Maybe I just have a bad copy of the 1.7.

I have this lens, it's fantastic! I also have the 1.7 TC and rarely use it. Not because of the image quality but because I rarely need it. Maybe if I had birds like Tim's in my backyard...

You will not regret the 70-200.

Yves

Dave .... number 1 on the list is the legendary 28-70. Number 2 on the list is a "body", then the 70-200. For now, that is all I "think" I need, but you know how that goes!! I've got the 70-300VR and enjoy it .... which is the main reason it will be some time before the 70-200. I just want to "speed" up my lens collection at some point.

Enjoy your trip to London ... I'm sure that you will have plenty of photos upon your return.

Lisa,
sure can be an expensive hobby. I wanted to give the 70-200 a try out today,but was home to late and it was dark,:mad: tomorrow for sure.:smile:
We stay well clear of London, hate big cities. We are heading south to Hampshire (New Forrest) nice and peaceful.:smile:

Just so the other side is heard I'll add my $0.02. I have the 1.7 and I'm not happy with the results I get with my 70-200, I'd get the 1.4 if I were to do it again. Maybe I just have a bad copy of the 1.7.

Dave,
i had a TC for a Canon i had many moons ago and i wasn't too pleased with that one. Any reason why you would go for the 1.4 as apposed to the 1.7?
Cheers Dave

I have this lens, it's fantastic! I also have the 1.7 TC and rarely use it. Not because of the image quality but because I rarely need it. Maybe if I had birds like Tim's in my backyard...

You will not regret the 70-200.

Yves

Yves,
Im looking forward to the week end so i can get out and use it.:smile:
Thanks Dave

Dave,
i had a TC for a Canon i had many moons ago and i wasn't too pleased with that one. Any reason why you would go for the 1.4 as apposed to the 1.7?
Cheers Dave

I just don't find the images from the 1.7 to be sharp enough. I'm a bit of a sharpness junkie. I haven't used it on my D200, only on the D70s, maybe I'll try it again and see if I still don't like it. I've seen where there are others that aren't happy with the 1.7 on the 70-200, but there are also people who like it. It seems like the 1.4 is a safer option (to me at least). From what I've seen everyone is happy with the 1.4 and the 1.7 is split. Just my opinion....
The 70-200 is awesome, though, you're going to love it. Only problem is it will spoil you and you'll want all top shelf glass.

Latest threads

Top Bottom