Didn't Know Rocky Mountains had Ibis

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Crayaco, May 12, 2007.

1. Took a little walk around a local lake the other day and was surprised to see some kind of Ibis in a pond. I am not a birder and do not know the names of these birds, but I think these are glossy ibis. Not sure on the yellow bird. Took these with D200 and 70-300 VR. No post processing except for cropping.

494727260_dc0b5a05b4_o.

494760919_52a3108aed_o.

Also saw this pretty yellow bird.

494727184_b35bb61ca6_o.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Glossy Ibis for sure. Very pretty.
    They have great colors when the sun hits them right:>)))
    Nice pics.

3. Thanks for looking, Gale.

It amazed me to see these birds. I live in a small town in Colorado. We are surrounded by 14,000 foot peaks and this pond is at about 7200 feet above sea level.

Maybe I should start looking more closely at the birdies.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes, Ray, perhaps look for more.
    I don't know if it is unusual at the elevation.
    Pretty neat

5. Hi Ray,

Since you are in Colorado, I think those should be White-faced Ibis. They look a lot like the Gloss Ibis we see in the eastern half of the US. Nan & I saw White-faced in Baja California last month.

Bob & Nan

6. The Colorado DOW has a new web site with info on good birding sites: http://www.coloradobirdingtrail.com/

I live in Colorado Springs but we have a cabin north of Craig. It's very remote. We have a couple of pair of sandhill cranes that nest there every year. I'm going to try to get some pictures of them this year but I try to be careful not to disturb them on their nests. They frequently come by out ponds to feed on insects and frogs. If I get anything worthwhile I'll post the images.

7. Bob, White-Faced was another choice. I am bird ID challenged.

Doug, thanks for the link. I do not do a lot of birding, but this could prove to be a start for me.

8. WOW, beautiful birdies! Love the colors!