Didn't Know Rocky Mountains had Ibis

Took a little walk around a local lake the other day and was surprised to see some kind of Ibis in a pond. I am not a birder and do not know the names of these birds, but I think these are glossy ibis. Not sure on the yellow bird. Took these with D200 and 70-300 VR. No post processing except for cropping.

494727260_dc0b5a05b4_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

494760919_52a3108aed_o.png

Also saw this pretty yellow bird.

494727184_b35bb61ca6_o.jpg

Glossy Ibis for sure. Very pretty.
They have great colors when the sun hits them right:>)))
Nice pics.

Glossy Ibis for sure. Very pretty.
They have great colors when the sun hits them right:>)))
Nice pics.

Thanks for looking, Gale.

It amazed me to see these birds. I live in a small town in Colorado. We are surrounded by 14,000 foot peaks and this pond is at about 7200 feet above sea level.

Maybe I should start looking more closely at the birdies.

Yes, Ray, perhaps look for more.
I don't know if it is unusual at the elevation.
Pretty neat

Hi Ray,

Since you are in Colorado, I think those should be White-faced Ibis. They look a lot like the Gloss Ibis we see in the eastern half of the US. Nan & I saw White-faced in Baja California last month.

Bob & Nan

Real Name
Doug
Thanks for looking, Gale.

It amazed me to see these birds. I live in a small town in Colorado. We are surrounded by 14,000 foot peaks and this pond is at about 7200 feet above sea level.

Maybe I should start looking more closely at the birdies.

The Colorado DOW has a new web site with info on good birding sites: http://www.coloradobirdingtrail.com/

I live in Colorado Springs but we have a cabin north of Craig. It's very remote. We have a couple of pair of sandhill cranes that nest there every year. I'm going to try to get some pictures of them this year but I try to be careful not to disturb them on their nests. They frequently come by out ponds to feed on insects and frogs. If I get anything worthwhile I'll post the images.

Since you are in Colorado, I think those should be White-faced Ibis. They look a lot like the Gloss Ibis we see in the eastern half of the US. Nan & I saw White-faced in Baja California last month.

Bob, White-Faced was another choice. I am bird ID challenged.

The Colorado DOW has a new web site with info on good birding sites: http://www.coloradobirdingtrail.com/

Doug, thanks for the link. I do not do a lot of birding, but this could prove to be a start for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom