Didn't know what category to post this under for some advice

Discussion in 'People' started by Debbie H, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Went out the location where the wedding is going to be. If you haven't read some of my threads about this wedding I will try and give you the short version. Under a HUGE pavilion at 7:00p.m. the floor of this pavilion is polished concrete and the sun is coming under the pavilion and shining directly on this concrete like if you had a mirror sitting out in the sun.

We ran through the wedding on how we think everything will be timed. At the moment when they pronounce the B&G husband and wife the sun is on my back but is hitting me hard. The Problem is locking focus or is this just my imagination.
    I tried to take this shot several times using AF-C, AF-on button as I always shoot like this, and it would not lock focus on her it just kept on flickering and when I would take the shot well of course it was blurry. So I was wondering if the sun was coming through the viewfinder, I'm just guessing here, so I walked over to where I was in the shaded part of the pavilion and she didn't move from where she was put the camera up and it immediately locked focus. I got back in the place where I was because that will be the middle isle and tried to hold my hand up to block my viewfinder but still no luck. I'm beginning to think that this is why I'm getting several blurred pictures at this location practicing. I've tried both cameras same setups that I'm going to use at the wedding at my home at around the time of the wedding and not come out with one blurry picture.

Does this make since?? How in the heck am I going to fix it?? Need some advice. Gosh this wedding has become the worst lighting nightmare I've ever had to deal with.:eek: Well the short version still came out to be the long version. :redface: Could use some advice!!!

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Can you post the image? Would love to see it. Unfortunately I had the same problem years ago when I did a wedding in the middle of the afternoon like 1:00 p.m. outside. Man oh man did I have the jiddlers (sp). I think I was more nervous than the bride. I blew out her dress on several shots, but luckily for me, I was the second shooter.

Ok so post some images.

3. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks Seneca!! I have to get off the computer right now because I'm giving a baby shower and I still need to change clothes. I may post the image directly to you, just because this was not the bride and she made me promise that I would delete all her photos because she just go off work. Believe me the worst lighting you can even imagine!! Thanks, Debbie

4. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah it could be that there is a lack of contrast for the AF to lock onto, so it hunts. Is it hunting for focus? Where are you seeing this "flickering?" Like a warning in the eye piece display? You may need to manually focus on the couple (since you will have time while standing there, they are not going anywhere), then try your luck as they begin walking towards you. Also you may want to use a single focus point so you can choose the most contrasty place in the scene to lock focus, then re-compose. Like the grooms black tux next to the bright light should work better than the white dress, next to bright white light. At least on your 70-200 (if I'm not mistaken), the MF overide is easy right? No switches to mess with, whild you manually focus it right? So you can leave your focus lever in C and use the AF-ON, when they start moving towards you. I'd do that. I still can't visualize the lighting or venue despite our private conversations. Lets see a pic.

Kurt

5. May I also recommend not shooting with your back to the sun.

This means the b&g will be FACING the Sun, and you may end up with photos of them squinting. I try to position people so as the sun is not in their eyes.

6. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Well I just called her and asked her if I could post her pics and she said it would be ok. She said oh know not with the doll, and I said yes with the doll. I'm just glad she could go with me. Ok I'm going to post two. One with the focus not locking.

DSC_4855_1willnotlockfocus.gif

This is the lighting I'm having to deal with when they are walking down the isle.

View attachment 223820

It is a nightmare. There maybe some good news though. They are going to try and cover the whole west side with pink & white plastic table cloths. I don't know what and how that will work, just crossing my fingers. Debbie

7. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Kurt thanks, In the viewfinder and I can hear it. My focus point was moved over right on her face.

8. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks!! yes the family is going to try and fix the lighting problem. Gosh I hope so!! For them and me.

9. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Wow I see what you mean, that floor IS like a mirror. Given the circumstances I think that second show would have worked. I mean the subject is well lit and not overexposed. If you can shoot in manual and underexpose the background even more, that will help. Set your shutter at the max shutter sync (e.g., 1/250th or whatever), ISO 100, and stop down the lens until the background is under a stop or so and that should minimize some of the highlights. However keep in mind your flash will be working overtime. If your lens is stopped down to F8, F11, etc., it will probably be flashing at full power so recycle time will be less so be sure to have extra batteries. And remember, all you can do is research like you are for a given situation, you can't work miracles with the lighting. Also since it is backlit, you should use your newest lenses (e.g., 70-200 VR, etc.) which have the newest lens coatings which will minimize flare and lack of contrast.

Regarding the focus issue, I really would have to see this to understand what is going on. I don't have a D300 so I'm not sure what warning or light you are seeing. Does it flash when it is hunting for focus? Anyway, I think you will be fine and just keep practicing with this tricky situation before the big day. I think you will find underexposing the background will help though. One major advantage of shooting with a strobe (two exposures in one ;).

Good luck!

10. Having a look at the picture that would not lock focus , the very centre of the frame where the focus point would be is in the shiny spot on her belly where there is absolutely no contrast .
    I would say the best method to use in this case is multi focus points and one of them will always find something to lock on . After this is over you can switch to single focus point .

11. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri

Kurt actually that shot was with the D200. The little red light that you see in the viewfinder over to the left and when you are able to lock focus it doesn't flicker it stays solid red. Yes the flash will go off. It is a very tricky situation even if they think they can fix the sun coming in.:eek: I will not see what I'm dealing with until the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding. I'm meeting them up there a 4:30 to help and hopefully try and get some shots in. That will be an issue to because everyone else will be up there wanting to hurry through the rehearsal to go and eat. I'm not a miracle worker and the B&G are coming over tonight to make sure we have all the shots she wants down on paper. I'm going to explain to them that I will try and do the best I can that's all I ever promised them. The groom really doesn't care about the pictures but that is kind of normal, it is always the bride that wants the pictures. There will be another photographer there to shoot at the wedding. I just hope the bride is wrong and she has more experience than I do. I keep reminding the bride that I'm the 2nd shooter but I don't think she is letting that sink in. Holy cow what a deal!! It is not like I didn't tell them no several times to shoot their wedding, but they wouldn't let it go. So I'm just going to shoot my you know what off and try to nail the main shots. Thanks so much for trying to help!! I appreciate it so very much!!! Debbie

12. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Desmond I do see what you are seeing. When you are talking about multi focus points are you talking about Dynamic-area AF mode. With all the movement going on I'm shooting with AF-C and using my AF-on button which I'm sure you know that. I do understand how you are thinking though. Good gosh a overcast day would be a blessing!!! Thanks, Debbie

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    How about shooting at F8 or F11?

14. Dynamic area still concentrates on the centre focus point , you need closest -subject focussing or 'average' whatever it is called on your camera .
    It's the mode that would be selected if your camera had a landscape mode .
    I think it's the large rectangle on the focus selector thinking back to the week I used a D200 . It uses all the focus points and locks on to whatever one it can and when a few are selected it chooses the closest one .
    My D80 had 11 focus points and in this type of lighting I would switch them all on and even if the centre point can't lock on to anything about 5 of the others would .

15. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Seneca on which photo?? I have tried so many different settings and have come to the conclusion what works and what absolutely doesn't work. Well I should say kind of. Thanks!! Debbie

Ok, I thought that is what you were talking about. Remember I have the D300 also. Will be using both. Thanks!! Debbie

16. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Wow Debbie, what a nightmare. Now I'm thinking about pink color casts coming in from this covering they will be placing up. I honestly don't think there is much you can do. If it is completely blown out around the couple and behind them, just embrace it and make it part of the artistic look; I mean you can only do so much. ;) I'm anxious to hear about the rehearsal and event. If after the rehearsal you have some last minute questions, PM me and I can try to help. I agree about using the focus mode which uses more focus points; that should help!!

17. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Debbie,
    I was thinking about the floor. I imagine some of the glare will be cut when the chairs are moved in. What about a floor covering of some sort? A runner for the aisle? A large area rug in the space for the ceremony?

18. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Oh Gosh Kurt I didn't even think about that :eek: I talked to the B&G last night and they are putting sheets up. And where she will be coming through it will be like a curtain two sheets together. I'm hoping they will be white. I will let you know how it goes at rehearsal. :frown: Thanks so much Kurt!!

Kay they are going to have a aisle runner and I suggested also to get a horizontal aisle runner to where the the sun is reflecting so bad on the floor. So I'm not really sure at this moment what they are going to do. Thanks for you suggestions!! Debbie:smile:

19. ok , the wedding must be over now ... we want pictures !