1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Difference Between Different Netbooks

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by wingspar, Aug 19, 2009.

1. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I’ve been doing some research on Netbooks. I’ve got 4 on my short list right now. Listed in no particular order.

Samsung NC10 is the only one that seems to have a mat screen. All others are glossy, which to me is a negative. The Samsung is also the most expensive over all the others by $80.

MSI Wind U100-013US

Acer Aspire One

Dell Mini 10v

They all seem to have the same processor, same ram, and all run XP Home. Only the Dell says it comes loaded with SP3. The others don’t specify. They also all have 3 USB ports, one ethernet, one VGA, one microphone and one headset jack, neither of which I care about. I'd rather have another USB port. All 3 netbooks, and almost all netbooks out there today, seem to have the same specs. They don’t seem to vary much from netbook to netbook. None have a CF card reader. All other cards, but not the CF.

Could it be that I should just go for the one that looks the nicest? That would be the Samsung just because of the mat screen. I don’t care for glossy screens. I’m torn between the first 3 cause the Dell would probably take the longest to ship by a long shot, and I am partial to the mat screen.

Does anyone have thoughts or experiences with these netbooks? How do you read your CF cards? Do you take a card reader along, and plug it into a USB port, or do you take your USB cable that came with your camera, and use it?

2. Add the Asus 1000HE to your list. It's a 10.1" matte screen as well and has a lot of editors choice awards. It also has a 9 hour battery which is probably 7ish in real life. The 1000HE is also drop dead easy to upgrade the hard drive and memory with easy access hatches on the bottom.

As far as specs, most are pretty much the same as you've noticed. That Sammy NC10 is a highly regarded unit as well so good luck with whatever you choose! Cheers!

3. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    If you're going for the MSI Wind, go for the U123 :)  with the 9 cell

4. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I sort of looked at the Asus line, but not close. I’ve added the 1000HE to my list, tho it looks bigger and heavier than the others, but with a slightly faster processor. Matte screen is a plus. Thank you.

Added. Thank you. I sort of listed them by brand, then sorted them by price, and was sticking with the lower priced units, and had not seen that they came with 3 cell, 6 cell, and 9 cell batteries. Adds $$ to the price. The Samsung already has the 6 cell battery.

Looks like the U123 has a 6 cell battery and a 9 cell, depending on the last 5 numbers and letters after the U123. Confusing, but good to know that. I wasn’t aware that different models of the Wind meant different battery size.

5. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    U123 also has a slightly faster processor than the older Wind (1.66 vs 1.6 lol) :biggrin:

I was torn between the 1000HE and the U123 myself.

6. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    1.66 vs 1.6? Would anyone ever notice the difference?

If one looks at video reviews of these netbooks on YouTube, and reads reviews, these all nave some nit pick that someone doesn’t like, so it’s almost a matter of personal preference. Matte screen and nice keyboard layout look like the two key items in choosing a netbook for me.

Both the ASUS Eee PC EPC1000HE and the Samsung have matte screens, and both have nice keyboard layouts, but the EPC1000HE has a larger backspace key. I seem to be torn between these two.

The ASUS has the faster processor.

The Samsung has the larger monitor.

The ASUS has a backlit screen. The Samsung does not. Does this matter in normal use? Photo use?

Samsung has 160gb SATA hard drive. ASUS is just says 160GB H.D.D.

Samsung weighs 2.8 pounds. ASUS weighs 3.2 pounds. Samsung is smaller in size.

As for battery. The ASUS says it lasts for 9.5 hours. Does not mention size. The Samsung is a 6 cell battery.

Both are the most expensive of the bunch I am looking at. All these things I just listed seem to be small things that I wouldn’t care about if I had them both side by side.

I could probably toss a coin, and be happy with either one of these.

Any other thoughts appreciated. :smile:

7. Gary, they are both good units. Unfortunately the Samsung is not sold in Canada so I have no direct experience with it. I did own the 1000HE which I loved but replaced it after a couple of months with the new 1008HA from Asus. The 1008HA is only 2.2 lbs and only an inch thick at its thickest point and that was the clincher for me.

I tell you this because I found the 1000HE to be just a smidge too heavy at 3.2lbs and just a little bit too large to carry with my camera gear on a regular basis compared to my previous Acer Aspire One netbook (2.8lbs). The trade off was that I had to go to a glossy screen and a non replaceable battery but those were acceptable for me to get the desired power and portability.

You won't go far wrong with either unit you're looking at but if it's down to the Sammy or the Asus, trust me, you WILL notice the difference between 2.8 lbs and 3.2 lbs and the smaller dimensions especially if you're packing it around a lot. On that basis I'd have to give the nod to the Sammy unless it's missing something that you seriously need to have. My new Asus is so much lighter that it goes with me all the time now so that's the ultimate proof in the pudding for me.... it's getting used.

Cheers!

P.S. Tips: Pick up a small portable BLUETOOTH travel mouse. I'm using the Microsoft Notebook 5000 and it works perfectly with the onboard bluetooth. Logitech makes a similiar unit as well. I hate using the track pad and the mouse is just soooooo much easier to live with and packs easily. The Bluetooth version means you don't have to waste a USB port with a receiver (used with most typical wireless mouse versions) and no dongle (receiver) to lose or get in the way. The sleeve for the Netbook makes an excellent padded mousepad in the oddest places by the way!

If you replace the hard drive in either unit, go for the 7200rpm versions as they noticably improve the performance and make sure you get a G-Force version with the built in accelerometer. These drives can detect sudden movement (i.e. falling) and instantly park the drive heads to protect your data. Both Seagate and Western Digital have this technology and it only adds about 10 bucks to the price of the drive. I upgraded my drive to a 320GB 7200rpm Seagate and they also make a 500GB version now. Make sure the model number has a "G" at the end to verify it's a shock proof version. Not sure about Western Digital's codes but you have to make sure as both companies make identical drives with and without the G-Force stuff.

8. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you for that info James. It is very helpful. :smile: The Samsung just might be the winner here.

Guess I need to learn what Bluetooth is. I’m clueless.

As far as a mouse goes, a good mouse will be mandatory. My other half has this mouse with her laptop, and works good, and I'll most likely order it with the netbook..

9. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Gary I have a suggestion if you travel alot.

You can run a home NAS (Network assigned storage) most of them have FTP access. I do the same, it's basically a hard drive shared on a wireless network. It helps me upload pictures ASAP. I can upload them with my netbook while waiting at a starbucks or something. Then they're ready to be edited when I get home.

Running a NAS also makes it easy if you're away from home and need to access some pictures. Either to do some quick edits, or to show a customer.

Bluetooth is a form of wireless communication between devices. It's most common in wireless headsets for cell phones :) 

10. Glad to help Gary. The mouse your wife has is not the one you want. Her's comes with a receiver (dongle) that you have to plug into the laptop which wastes a USB port. As your netbook already has bluetooth (which is a different kind of wireless protocol that can connect all kinds of devices simultaneously) you can take advantage of a wireless bluetooth mouse. No dongle to lose and no wasted USB ports. Here is the one you want:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105238

This mouse runs on a couple of AAA batteries that seem to last for a long time and it has a power switch on the bottom so you can shut the mouse off when not in use to conserve the batteries. Handy when it's packed away with the Netbook.

Cheers!

11. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I don’t travel a lot. This will be mostly for an image tank, and I don’t really need one, never had the need or desire for one, but have wished for a larger screen than the LCD on the camera to look at photos in the evening while in a motel room, or a tent. Frankly, I’m not sure why I’m getting a notebook. I travel so little, being away from a computer and the internet is usually a welcome brake. They just look like such a useful tool, and the price isn’t too bad. There is a possibility that I might be using it to upload photos from a major sports venue to a newspaper this fall, and I think a Netbook would be ideal for that. I looked at the Samsung briefly last night, and the price was dropped to $334 with free shipping. Unfortunately, there will be no one here to receive it, so I will have to hold off a couple of weeks before ordering. Hope the low price will still be there.

The USB receiver that comes with her mouse slides into the bottom of the mouse, and locks into place automatically turning off the mouse to preserve batteries. If you loose it, you’ve probably lost the mouse too. :biggrin: I looked at a Bluetooth mouse the other night, and the one you linked to, and both had negative reviews on the jerkiness of the mouse pointer. The mouse she has is a nice mouse, is small, feels good, and works nice, but I will do some more research on Bluetooth before I decide. Wish I could try before ordering, but being remote, that just isn’t possible. It’s several hours to the nearest Staples, which might not be the best place to look at this stuff.

12. I'm own a blue Samsung NC-10, and it's a terrific travel companion. I use it to display pictures, and more recently, to edit and display video clips from our new Flip UltraHD Camcorder. It's strong points are its keyboard, which Samsung describes as 93% of full laptop size, and excellent battery life from the included 6 cell battery pack.

The Microsoft 5000 bluetooth mouse works seamlessly with the NC-10; no software required to hook it up. I think it's an excellent choice for a netbook.

13. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I saw the photo you posted of your netbook. Same color I decided on.

Is this the mouse you are talking about?

14. DeoreDX

DeoreDX

Jan 16, 2007
    Alabamastan
    I will say I own a NC10 and really love it. Hate the gloss case. Love the matte screen and good battery life. The keyboard is a big positive. I don't like teh mouse button though, it's the one part of the package that feels "cheap" to me. But it works.

Some comparison pictures of it and a 14" Dell XPs and 17" Dell Precision M90. Kepboard comparison is with my 17" Dell M90.

106739963.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 400556

View attachment 400557

View attachment 400558

View attachment 400559

15. Yes, that's it.

16. No matter which Netbook you buy, you will be surfing unsecured wifi networks, and will need protection. On the advice of an expert, I downloaded AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5. It gets good ratings from CNet, and my own experiences with it have been excellent. It updates its virus profiles every time I use the netbook, and scans my computer for them unobtrusively in the background while I work. I wandered into a bad part of the net last week and was immediately attacked by multiple viruses. AVG quickly quarantined them and then obliterated the little nasty things :) . Highly recommended, and totally free.

17. Awww, the glossy blue is a thing of beauty, Jin, and so are your pictures of the Sammy! They clearly show why netbooks have become so popular. Buy a Microsoft 5000 and you won't have to fret about the touchpad.

18. DeoreDX

DeoreDX

Jan 16, 2007
    Alabamastan
    Oh the case is beautiful... until my son touches it with his messy little fingers! lol

19. DeoreDX

DeoreDX

Jan 16, 2007
    Alabamastan
    Oh... and I second the Bluetooth mouse. I use Rocketfish bluetooth laser mouse, it's OK but I found it on clearance for $14 at Best Buy. I wish the scroll will tilted to allow forward/reverse in web pages but this one doesn't work that way :frown:

20. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you for posting those photos. The matte screen was a big factor in deciding on the Samsung, but it has a lot of other winning features also. Looks like a lot of wasted space for keyboard use on those laptops, and the NC10 is better looking than either of those Dells. :biggrin:

Thanks Frank. That’s the one I ordered. Seemed to have good reviews too.

Been away from my computer for almost a week, so just now getting back to this thread. I ordered the Samsung NC10 in blue and the Bluetooth mouse you recommended tonight. The NC10 was $340 with free shipping from Newegg. I have Norton Antivirus on my main computers, and that will go on the netbook. It will be the first piece of software I put on it. Next will be a Firewall, then I’ll start installing the good stuff. ViewNX, and I’m going to give Irfanview a try. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. Should work well for my purposes I might have while on the road, which isn’t too often. I’m not wireless at home, so I should be able to play and breath easy when I first get it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.