Difference between Gray and Other

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Little Cub, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi Cafe,

I was wondering if anyone could explain the major differences of what are known as "Gray" cameras and Nikon USA cameras? I notice that some Gray cameras are alot cheaper. Does anyone own/use a Gray camera? How does the warranty work if you are in the US? I have heard that Gray cameras are poorly made, is this true? I am looking into getting a back-up body now and I wonder if spending roughly $1200-1400 vs. $300-500 for a Gray camera is worth it. :frown: Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Thank You-
    Little Cub

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is from the B&H site:

3. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Thanks Frank!

I didn't think there was that much of a difference between the two. If they are built exactly the same and distributed by the same company they should be the same with the exception of where to send it for warranty work. I had heard that many places here in the US would not even consider looking at a Grey Market body because they are imports. Has anyone bought a Grey Market camera, or worked with one?

Little Cub

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Nikon USA

will not touch gray market equipment. They have to cover warranty repairs out of their profits, and since they didn't sell the gray item, they obviously didn't make any profit on it. The same is true in any other country with a Nikon USA ittem, it is gray there.

If you look at the difference in cost, it would appear that the USA warranty is worth the difference. YMMV