1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Difference between TC1.4 vII & TC1.4 vIII

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Louis Champan, May 22, 2019.

1. I'm trying to find out if there is an appreciable optical difference between the two versionsam ? I have a TC1.4 vII and am trying to decide if it's worth it to upgrade to the vIII model.
    Thanks
    Louie

2. I believe the new one is weather gasket sealed making it a bit more resistant to moisture. I also believe the optical formula might be improved, but if you only plan on using it occasionally, the older TC-14E II should be fine.

Photography Life did a test and found the new TC works best mainly with the latest lenses:

Nikon TC-14E III vs TC-14E II Performance Comparison

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Jonathan, I think I'm going to try a friends vIII on my 300mm pf and see if I can detect any appreciable difference.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I can't really quantify or explain it but I think the EIII is noticably better on the E series lenses. I hardly notice a drop in IQ on the 70-200 EFL and just a little drop in IQ on the 500EFL and 600EFL which might be more me than the tc. I don't have a pf so can't comment on that lens design type.

5. The II used the same optical formula as the I, which was released in 1992, 27 YEARS AGO!

Certainly optical formulae have improved in nearly 3 decades, as have the demands of smaller pixel-pitch cameras. The III was redesigned to deal with these new demands. Whether or not you notice any improvements will come down to the lenses you're using the TC on, the body you're using, and the finished medium for how the image is displayed.

Personally, I sold my II to get a III. I primarily use it with my 300/2.8 VR on a D500 (same pixel pitch as a D850). I didn’t do any head-to-head comparisons, as the II was sold before the III arrived, but the updated optics, coupled with the additional weather sealing, made it a worthwhile upgrade to me.

I really wish Nikon would release a TC-17E III, as I would pick up one of those as well.

6. IIRC, the III does not work with some AF-S lenses...check for compatibility with your existing lenses.
    I had a v1 and sold it for v3 and there were some differences, primarily the outer portions of the frame if I recall.

7. Yes, good point Geof. The III works fine on the majority of AF-S lenses, but some older lenses it does not.

8. I have the II and am really happy with the IQ. It ain't broke so it's not getting fixed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Me too. I’m waiting for the IV...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Not enamored with my 1.7. A 1.7III would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Why don't you like the 1.7 II? I just bought one to use with my 300/2.8, which'll give me 500mm f/5.6 (I'll stop the lens down half a stop to improve the sharpness).

12. IQ. My 1.4II and 2.0III are good. My 1.7 is just so so.

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    That was my experience also on a super sharp 500mm/f4 and a 300/2.8. Would like to see a 1.7 III!

14. $800 I bet(n) 

15. So you would recommend the 2.0 III over the 1.7 II, shooting at f/5.6?

16. On an f/5.6 lens?

17. No, shooting an f/2.8 lens at f/5.6.

With the 1.7, you’re stopping down 1/2 a stop from wide open, versus shooting the 2.0 wide open. My thought was that stopping down the extra 1/2 stop would yield a sharper image than shootings the 2.0 wide open at f/5.6.

18. Thanks very much for all of the input, I appreciate it. The reason for me even thinking about getting a TC1.4 vIII over my version II is that when attached to my 300mm pf the focus seems to slow down considerable. Now I haven't checked into this but it just might be that my 300 has an issue. I have a friend that has the vIII, maybe I'll give that a try before doing anything about purchasing a new one.

19. You're not gonna like this. Buy both and decide. Send one back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Let me put it like this. My 400 2.8 E FL has legendary sharpness. I'll grab the 2.0 III before the 1.7 II.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.