Difference between TC1.4 vII & TC1.4 vIII

I'm trying to find out if there is an appreciable optical difference between the two versionsam ? I have a TC1.4 vII and am trying to decide if it's worth it to upgrade to the vIII model.
Thanks
Louie
I believe the new one is weather gasket sealed making it a bit more resistant to moisture. I also believe the optical formula might be improved, but if you only plan on using it occasionally, the older TC-14E II should be fine.

Photography Life did a test and found the new TC works best mainly with the latest lenses:

Nikon TC-14E III vs TC-14E II Performance Comparison

I can't really quantify or explain it but I think the EIII is noticably better on the E series lenses. I hardly notice a drop in IQ on the 70-200 EFL and just a little drop in IQ on the 500EFL and 600EFL which might be more me than the tc. I don't have a pf so can't comment on that lens design type.

Real Name
Ian
The II used the same optical formula as the I, which was released in 1992, 27 YEARS AGO!

Certainly optical formulae have improved in nearly 3 decades, as have the demands of smaller pixel-pitch cameras. The III was redesigned to deal with these new demands. Whether or not you notice any improvements will come down to the lenses you're using the TC on, the body you're using, and the finished medium for how the image is displayed.

Personally, I sold my II to get a III. I primarily use it with my 300/2.8 VR on a D500 (same pixel pitch as a D850). I didn’t do any head-to-head comparisons, as the II was sold before the III arrived, but the updated optics, coupled with the additional weather sealing, made it a worthwhile upgrade to me.

I really wish Nikon would release a TC-17E III, as I would pick up one of those as well.

IIRC, the III does not work with some AF-S lenses...check for compatibility with your existing lenses.
I had a v1 and sold it for v3 and there were some differences, primarily the outer portions of the frame if I recall.

Real Name
Ian
IIRC, the III does not work with some AF-S lenses...check for compatibility with your existing lenses.
I had a v1 and sold it for v3 and there were some differences, primarily the outer portions of the frame if I recall.
Yes, good point Geof. The III works fine on the majority of AF-S lenses, but some older lenses it does not.

Thanks very much for all of the input, I appreciate it. The reason for me even thinking about getting a TC1.4 vIII over my version II is that when attached to my 300mm pf the focus seems to slow down considerable. Now I haven't checked into this but it just might be that my 300 has an issue. I have a friend that has the vIII, maybe I'll give that a try before doing anything about purchasing a new one.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom