Difference between TC1.4 vII & TC1.4 vIII

Louie - I picked up a 1.4III because I'd read folks posting that it was a tad sharper with E lenses. So I have both the 1.4II and the 1.4III. To be honest, I can not see a real-world appreciable difference in image quality between the two. Maybe I'm just not picky enough, but then again I don't spend hours going over a single image at 100% working and reworking the processing.

I have not compared the difference in AF speed between the two, but then again when used on my 600e, I didn't notice any difference that stood out.

Real Name
Randy
I think the III is better on e glass like the 500e....I haven't tested it but for the upgrade cost I figured why not, I don't use a TC much anymore so I want the best even if it's just slightly better.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
On my f/4 long lenses I like the 1.7 but not the 2.0
I tried both the 2.0 (twice) and the 1.7. Decided neither one worked "for me". Maybe now that I have the 600 E FL, I should try the 2.0 for a third time! Not sure why Nikon never updated the 1.7. Volume?

Well, I got the opportunity to try a friends TC1.4 vIII the other day, so I coupled it to my 300mm pf and the D5 and did some shooting. My conclusions certainly are scientific but I couldn't see any difference in focus, acquisition, tracking or the IQ of the images between shots taken with the vIII and the vII. So, I've decided to keep my TC1.4 vII and save myself a few hundred bucks. It's been an interesting read to hear from so many of you on your experiences and suggestions, thanks.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom