1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Differences between the 85 1.4 AF and AIS? (Forget about it-difference schmifference)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phillip Ino, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    If any? (Aside from the obvious manual focus) :smile:. If you have images from the AIS version, please do share.

EDIT: I pulled the trigger :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  2. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    The optical formula is different IIRC. The AIS is great but not as good as the AF.

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Not what I wanted to hear :tongue:

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol .. i take it u picked up an ais? no matter, u won't be able to tell any practical difference in IQ...;-)

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I have never used either, however based on my experiences involving older glass and its modern equivalent I would guess that the AIS has a more durable construction.

Not sure however.

As Nute said, I'm sure they're both great lenses.

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nope, not yet! But I have found a smashing deal on one....deciding if I should pull the trigger or not.:tongue:

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

cheap is good, very good ..lol

;-)))

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Yeah, that's what I am thinking, too.

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Pictures? Anyone?:confused: 

10. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i heard that though they are different optically, they have a very similar rendition. everyone says that the AIS version is much warmer though.

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I can live with warmer. Oh wouldn't it be great if I got this lens tomorrow, just as my D700 is being delivered?? :biggrin::biggrin:

12. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
  13. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    C'mon Francis! D'you have any self control?! :tongue:
    Last thing I knew you had started a thread to ask fellow Cafe users to convince to NOT by a D700. Now, before the new and expensive camera has even arrived you're allready plotted how to get some fancy new glass for it!

14. Francis,

I have owned both...currently the AIS...and though it absolutely kills me to agree with Nute...I cannot see any difference. Both have wonderful bokeh. The AIS is more solid (I sense) but that is possibility biased by the reputation that the older primes enjoy. It is not kid - moving subjects - friendly but for general use you cannot go wrong.

My best, I will take a few shots wide open and post...if you would like:)  Gordon

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Haha! Sometimes I do. I stumbled upon a good deal for an AIS version and I don't know if I can pass it up :wink:

16. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I hate agreeing with Nute, also :tongue:. I figured it would feel more solid, as most of the older MF lenses do, and I think the AIS is even heavier, despite it's smaller size. I was hoping to use it as my main in-studio portrait lens. I would love it if you posted some images, Gordon! :biggrin:

17. I had the Ai-S version and now I have the AF version.

I found that the Ai-S version was darn close to being as good IQ wise as the AF version. In practice, just about no noticeable difference.
    The thing though is that focusing can be a handful at this focal length at large apertures - this is where the AF version (naturally) shines.

I won't post any of the AF version, there are many samples here (although, if you really need more, just let me know).

Here are two of the Ai-S version (one wide open, one stopped a bit).

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 85mm f/1.4 (wide open):

original.

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 85mm f/1.4 (@ f/4.0):

original.

18. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thanks a lot, Sir! Nice images, both of them. And I am glad you brought up the fact of how difficult it can be to focus at that FL wide open. I appreciate it. Definitely has me thinking.

19. I wouldn't avoid the AI-S because of difficulty focusing. I think there is a learning curve and like anything else.. practice, practice, practice.

I recall when I first starting using manual focus I was all over the place and it didn't matter whether I was at f/2 or f/16. Now my skills are very good and I wouldn't be afraid of tackling large apertures.

20. Francis,
    Here are several wide open shots on my AIS-version. Early evening lighting conditions. Used PS3 to crop and in a couple of cases to adjust brightness. You cannot go wrong with either lens. Please visit: http://picasaweb.google.com/winecountrystudio/8514AISTest

Enjoy, Gordon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.