Different lenses react differently on different cameras?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Take the 24-120 VR. On the D2H, I find it soft and rather bland. But on a D70, I like the image output a lot and find it sharp! It's really strange, but on different cameras I hate/love the lens. The image quality differs to my eyes.

Does anybody else here feel the same with other lenses on different cameras? Or is all in my head?

I'm going to buy a 17-55 eventually, but I need to save some dough first!

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jonathan,

I too have both of these cameras. What I have found is that when it comes to pure mega pixels, the D70 does produce better images, especially if you have to crop. I can't say that this is the difference in your case though.

3. Jonathan,

Same here. The 24-120VR lookes soft on the D2H, however looked good on the D70. It was so bad I eventually sold it. I recently tryed it on my D2X and whow! It looks outstanding. Go figure.

Also I have done some experimenting lately since getting the D2X. If you set the sharpening on the D2H to NORMAL it seems to look a lot better than if you use AUTO. It seems they have made the D2X much better at AUTO sharpening.

Geno

4. Just got my 17-55

first thing... no f/stop ring

out to test now... seeya later

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    They're forgetting to put those on ALL the new lenses!

It's G for gone.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    NOOOOOOOOO Geno you can't have it back. It works great on the D100 :>))))) I love it.

Well I would trade you for the 300 VR....rofl.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I concur Gale. The 24-120vr is a super-lens on the D100. It's like it's made just for it.

8. Gale,

I know you wouldn't give it back so I ended up buying a new one. I found I really missed the VR. I bought the Tamron 18-200 and it is sharper, however I missed too many shots due to slow focusing and the lack of VR.

The picture below really is nothing much of a picture, however it shows this girl winning an award. I used the VR and another new little toy that everyone will soon catch on to.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=359279&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I was in fluorescent light and used the green diffuser and then balanced using a white piece of paper. This image has no changes with the exception of resizing and sharpening for web.

GenoP

Nikon D2h ,Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
    1/60s f/6.3 at 50.0mm iso400 with Flash
    [​IMG]

9. Geno,

Thank you for sharing that URL. Those diffusers are great, I will add them to my bag. It's kind of funny, because all of those stories about bad copies of lenses have made me a little skeptical about the 24-120VR. I purchased a demo copy from Cameta Camera a few months ago. I thought most of the images were soft using my D70, but perhaps its because of the curve I have loaded on the camera. I was ready to get rid of that lens. Yikes!

I love the 17-55 +70-200 combination. Maybe it's time to give the 24-120 another chance.

10. Ugh, I need a D2X darn it. I need to rake in more commission money, I've been a bum lately.

Though I'd rather get new glass...and the 17-55 DX is on my hit list!

11. Get this, I prefer the 18-70 on the D2H better than on the D70! The 24-120 VR really shines on the D70/D100 though. I definitely want a 17-55, don't know if I would keep the 24-120 VR after I get it though.

12. billT

billT Guest

Hi Jonathan,

Don't know if you are right nor not. I notice that the 14-120 is softer on the D2H, but it works great on the D2X. Wish I know why.

BillT.

13. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Similar Experience

I was quite unhappy with a Tokina Pro 28-70 f2.8 on my D1X. I felt the color was too cold and generally lacking in sharpness. On my D2X it is a favorite lens. Don't know why; just is.