Different park, different friend...

Discussion in 'People' started by Jetta32696, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Good morning all,

Went to the park again on Monday, this time with my friend Diane. This was a much different session than with Nakia a few days earlier, and the conditions were a little worse. I think these came out okay, but think they could have been better as well. All shot with D2hs, and my favorite trio of lenses, 85, 28-70 and 70-200... What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Very nice Keith! My quick comments on these (I'll leave the in-depth to the experts):
    - Good eye contact is off somewhat on the 2nd one. She looks disconnected from the shot - maybe took too much time to press the shutter??
    - I like the slanted presentation of the last one a lot. It adds to the image.
    - Very nice lighting on all.

It shows that you really like shooting this Keith, keep at it!

3. Thanks for the comments Frits. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this a little. #2 was just a different look we were going for - Diane loves to laugh and smile and I was trying to get her to look a little more relaxed. I love smiles, but after shooting for over an hour, I was tired of the same smile each time... :biggrin: I just wanted to switch it up a little.

4. I like #1 and #4 best! :)

5. Thanks Laura!! My favorites here are #1 and #3, as I shot something white and there is actually some detail left in her shirt!! I have the hardest time shooting white clothes and backgrounds...

6. I prefer the second one... the graffiti isn't working with this subject and the intent of the images and the 3rd and 4th look a bit to "posed" for my taste.

Excellent processing... man, you guys are getting way too good!

7. I like them all but not real fond of the third due to the pose. I agree with Woody though, I'd clone the graffiti out.

8. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very nice work Keith! 1 and 4 are my favorites. It's nice that you have all these willing subjects.

9. Thank you Woody - as far as the processing, that wouldn't be possible without such a great tutorial created by you!! Thanks for sharing that!! It's taken my photos to a completely different level. I agree about the grafiti, and I would have never thought to clone it out, but I'll revisit that photo when I get some more time.

Thanks Brian. With #3, we were actually playing around, and I liked how it came out... :biggrin: I was trying to get Diane to loosen up, as she wanted instruction from me, and I had none to offer... :frown:

Thanks Fred!! I've got a few more up my sleeve, but I'm saving them for an actual studio session... :biggrin: Hopefully schedules will permit...

10. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I like them all Keith. Nice job.

11. I appreciate that Joshua!! Thanks alot!

12. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Man these look great! Did you use flash? reflectors? I like the lighting a lot.

13. 2 & 3 are very nice Keith. she sould be very happy with them

14. Thanks Seth. I forgot to mention the SB800 in my list of equipment used for these... no reflectors, I just shot in shady areas.

Thanks Roy! I'm hoping she likes them as well. I have 3 other sessions to edit before I get to the rest of these, but one day... :biggrin:

15. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I recently picked up an SB600 and will be using it for a very similar style of outdoor shots tomorrow. Can you share with me some info on how you had it setup and how you metered? I'll be using the mainly the 85mm and some 50mm.

16. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

i love the last shot... it's absolutly fantastic !

17. I don't know much about the SB600, but my typical settings for outdoors are Matrix metering on camera, and usually use program mode to check settings and adjust in manual to similar settings. Set the flash to TTL BL. I don't think the SB600 comes with a bounce diffusor, but get yourself one. I aim the flash directly at my subject. Also, try to stay away from direct sunlight...try to find some shade. :biggrin:

Thanks Topher!!

18. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

very nice...

I like them all.

19. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for the info, Keith. I made a better bounce card but I think something a little different would be best to diffuse the light outdoors. I'll see what I can come up with.

Keep up the good work, it's been an inspiration watching you get better and better.

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

excellent Keith ..Seth, the ABBC works dandy outside too...;-))