"Different" portrits for web ...

Discussion in 'People' started by Chris101, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I was asked to shoot a bunch of professors for their web page bios. The will be very small, 240X160, that will need to give a sense of the person, as this will form many of their student's first impression.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. saturnine

saturnine Guest

Wow, that creeped me out at first when I saw the pictures change! It's like those holograms of portraits of people, where their head turns to follow you as you move side to side. I like this concept! It should be neat for the student to see two "sides" of their professor ;)

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's good to hear they work from a student's perspective. Thanks Grace! Oh, and their 'creeping out' qualities are intentional. Gets yer attention.

What got me was how each one of them made a 'mug shot/jail' reference. Now why would a bunch of college teachers all know about jail mug-shots? ;)

4. Chris, you are a genius! They look great; they give the people a more "human" look.

Rich

5. Those are great! I love the way they change angles...very neat. That guy in the upper right has that mug-shot pose down pat, doesn't he?!

6. Great ideas come from brillant minds.

Hi, Chris

Great idea and neat rollovers! Could you give us a heads up on how you did this and how to post the resulting images?

Oh yea, one nit. I would have liked tighter crops.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Your creativity is exceeded only by your good looks Chris. What a great idea and the students will surely give these images a second look.

8. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Cool idea. Reminds me of the photos and paintings in Harry Potter.

I thinking about turning and old laptop of mine (that's not much good for anything else) into a digital picture frame. I thought it would be neat to have a sequence of family portraits that changed subtly from time to time, so if you weren't watching, it would be just a little bit different whenever you glanced at it.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Rich, Sommer, Virginia, Gordon and Chris! Although Gordon, I suspect your message translates as these are more boring than I am ugly!

Virginia: CS2 has an animation window - in fact it's the Frames window from ImageReady. I made two exposures - #1: look at my lens, #2: hold their body still, but turn their head 20 degrees to the right.

In photoshop, I made both exposures into layers of a single document, aligning their necks and upper torsos of each exposure. Then the shirt and upper torso was blended into a version that worked for both poses. In the Animation window, I made 2 frames - the first showing the layer with the subject looking to their right and the second frame showing the layer with them looking directly at the camera. Then, seven steps were tweened in between these two frames. Save for Web as animated Gif.

Sommer - good catch. That guy has a day job as the drug chemist for the state police. He talks undercover cop talk all the time - and he's really good at it. Very entertaining fellow!

Chris, it would be lying to saythese weren't influenced by the Harry Potter movie.

Rich, I'm not a genus, I filed the serial numbers off the outro from David Lynch's Dune, you know, the one with Kyle McLaughlin. Blatent plagery - blatent. :(

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    WOW Chris...that is so cool! You put together a pretty neat display. You continue to impress me with your skills.

12. Chris very imaginative. How many pictures did you took for your avatar, i guess at least 4?

13. These are very nice.

However, I think you should throw in a frame with a mean scowl on it every 10 or 20 seconds. Just to remind students. :D

14. MariaVoniati

MariaVoniati Guest

Great idea Chris,

did u try it with more movements or set up different concept for each professor.

BTW, I never try to create an animation artwork with Photoshop CS but I did it with Illustrator CS and exported as .swf.

thanks 4 sharing!