Difficult situation to work with portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by vincebeus, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Hi i had some work to photograph a group of persons for photo gift to there parents who are in the eighties. First it would be a group of 11 persons. But it was a group of 16 people. I took my equipment with me but i had to build it up outside. The wind was not working with me and the sun was almost directly shining at me. I could not put the people on the other side else they would have all closed eyes. So i did some photo's and and some family group photo's and children photo's. I still have to finish the groups photo because they want it on seperate background and next week i going to make photo's of the wanted backgrounds. Here are some photo's i made that day. And next week i hopefully can shop a finished result of the family group photo of 14 or 16 people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These i took outside in a park for security if the other photo's that i made where not coming out the way i had hoped for so i have a backup set of photo's. They had a good time so that was atleast a succes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any comments, advice, critiques or replies are very welcome.

Greetings and thanks for your time,
    VinceBeus

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    These look good Vince! The artificial backgrounds look to be quite servicable - good insurance! The big group looks ok, you're gonna put that against a background? I like the expressions you've caught in there. The parents are the couple in the middle right? This shot will mean a lot to them.

3. Hi Chris,

The big group photo is the insurace photo i made outside in the park. The other group photo of the same people i also made outside in the owners back garden. But that one was made against a chromakey green background and that one i must put a new background in it. So that is still the question if that will work out the right way but i stay optimistic until it is proven the opposite. I can use my knowledge of Adobe photoshop and if that won't workout then i can't do no more magic :biggrin:

But i am satisfied with the results until now that i had to do in extreme situation for my feeling.

Thanks for your reply,
    VinceBeus

4. They are all nice, but I really like #4. I think the angles on the tree work very well.

5. Thank you

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

6. I like them in general but as far as nitpicking here are a bit of my own personal taste :) .

#2 I am pretty sure I am not too fond of the background. You did a good job putting them in front of it, but is just doesn't look real enough to me ( Your opinion may vary :))

#3 I would have liked to see his face lit up a bit more. I look at it and feel the bottom is a bit better exposed than the top.

The rest I like as is :)

7. Yes i am still not totally satisfied with some off my edited studio work can improve. About the #3 it is shot with the light there was. I did on purpose not use any strobes in the park or any other strobe lighting. So the shadows and light fall through are like they where. I can edit them but i left them as orignal as they are. I only cropped and resized for web. And put in the basic raw process settings like sharpness and so.

Thanks for your advice.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi again Vince! I will give you my opinions on these. 1st shot is very good, 2nd shot is again, giving the sensation of them floating above the background. they don't "look grounded". The 3rd shot doesn't work with the leaves & branches obscuring his face & body, but love the casual, relaxed pose. The 4th & 5th are good poses, but I'd check for lost highlights (press "L") in NC4, if shot in raw, & possible dial down the exp on those, as they seem a little too "hot" on the bright side of their faces.
    PS, on the last group shot, if you artificially blur the background a bit to make them stand out more from it, that would be a good thing :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  9. I can't add anything to what the others have said. Except...

The group shot is a triumph. I count sixteen people and it is very, very difficult to get so many people looking OK at the same time. But you did it. Well done!

10. Hi Vince,

Personally, I think the park shots are preferable to the "computerised" backgrounds. They would be my insurance, if I couldn't make the park shots work. Everyone looks so relaxed in the park shots, but a little wooden in the others. But I guess it depends on what the customer wants.

I agree with Steve about the distracting leaves in the third shot, but he looks so natural and relaxed, I think you can get away with it.

The group shot would benefit from bluring out the background somewhat.

All in all, a nice series which I am sure they will be very happy with.

11. Thanks you all for the replies. The persons of the photo's seen the images and decided they wanted all the shots about 50 photo's of them in different sizes and quantities so i for that part i am happy, because it was for me a quess if they would appreciate the photo's. The one photo of the group wich they want with other background i still have to make and will finish upcoming weekend after i shot saterday the desired backgrounds. So 95% of the photoshoot is gone well after they dicided they took all the photo's i showed them.

Is just good to know that we (myself included) are more critical about our own work then most people who buy our work. But atleast i had good time working with these people and they had great time doing this photoshoot. So that was the best thing of it. I had harder time to process the photo's but that is my own fault to let my self work in such hard setting. One lesson i learned is that i won't use studio backgrounds outside where is a harsh sun and alot of wind, because i can't control the situation as i wanted.

And the fun thing of photography there is allways more to learn.

Thanks alot for your viewing and great replies. It is allways nice to have critiques or help to get better photo's the next time.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

12. 90% of the time (unless the customer is a photographer) we are more ciritical :smile: there a a couple reasons for that. #1 We know what we ought to have done and what we were trying to do #2 We are only looking at the picture. Most moments are photographed in order to capture emotions and feelings. And even tho the lighting etc may not be spot on they pay more attention to the feelings the picture evokes.. Which is a mighty good thing in a few of my weddings lol.