Diffuse Glow help!!!

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Ottrott's Human, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Okay so I have been using the diffuse glow filter for a while now to add a bit of a porcelain glow to the skin of my B&W portraits (see avatar). For some reason this filter, all of a sudden, started adding black pixels rather than white. What did I do? Anyone know how to get it back to the way it usually works. I've poked around for hours and can not figure it out.

It's a massive step in my PP for my 40's Hollywood shots so I'm kind of freaking out here!!:eek:

Same subject matter, same BG etc.....just black instead of bright white.

Thanks!!!

2. That's weird ....have never had that happen. :confused: Tried to recreate it with my PS but no luck...:frown: :frown:

You could try ditching your preferences I guess.... :redface:

3. LisaR

LisaR Guest

I'm a real newbie to PS so take this with a grain of salt. On the bottom of the tool "palette" there is a black and white square (or can be any color you pick) that you can switch back and forth. One of the toggle features right there is the switch button. My first thought was that you had these reversed (switched). That is my only guess. I haven't got a clue if this is used in filters, but I've played with other functions that these colors can mess you up if they are reversed!!

4. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Lisa has it nailed, I think. If you make your background color white, it should work. :smile:

5. Yep....it works. Managed to recreate it in PSCS3. :smile: Good pickup Lisa !!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I had thought about that and said to myself..naaa to easy..
    Gotta be something else...lol

7. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    THANK YOU LISA!!!!! Duh! I thought I had tried everything......if it was a snake it would have bit me.

I greatly appreciate your solving this for me. Thanks to everyone else who responded also!!!

Whew........

8. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Fantastic Stuart!! I've seen some of your B&W's and sure want to see more of them.

9. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Lisa....and with your help I was able to finish the PP on this one (also posted in the people forum so please excuse the blatant cross post:redface: ). It's the image I was working on when the Diffuse Glow problem occurred. I was stuck for a couple of days until you came to my rescue. I owe you one....the photo would not be the same without this final, necessary step!

468498212_93ff6cacf0_o.

10. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Stunning as always ......... but then again, you post wonderful color pictures of your small "assistant" too.

That's the one thing that this group does well ..... help each other out whenever they can. After all, we are all in this together and I for one have learned a lot from the generous people here at the Cafe.