Digiscoping anyone?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dond, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hi All,
    Just returned from 3 weeks in Australia...Melbourne, Darwin, Cairns. Took over 30GB of photos. Will take awhile, but will start posting to smugmug soon, as soon as I can get over the jet lag :frown:

I took the following Nikons: D2X, 12-24, 70-200VR & 200-400VR and TC14II. Problem is that the 200-400 weighs almost 7 lbs., now attach a D2x, teleconverter, RRS ball head and monopod. A very heavy load, indeed, especially when hiking all over the place.

At one of the B&B's, a birding guide showed me his Swaroski AT80 HD spotting scope. Very nice piece of glass. Was wondering if any of the bird photographers here, has or has considered attaching their D2X or other digital SLR to one of these scopes. What is the quality like?

I'm wondering if the print quality will suffer using the scope or not? Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

2. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Hi,

I do not have any experience with digiscoping but have been recently looking into it as an alternative for long expensive glass for the D70. There is an article on digiscoping in the latest issue of the Outdoor Photographer.

You will find a discussion forum entirely dedicated to digiscoping at

http://www.birdforum.net

Hope this helps.

Regards,