digital can't be silver!

I just finished building another improved scanning solution design and finished a few rolls scanning (scanning tethered right into Adobe Lightroom is sooooo cool). I use now Plustek filmholders and will design a track for even better flatness for the next revision of my apparatus.

Here is one frome from the three rolls, that really makes me ask, why all the pains with digital conversions, when a simple dirty JPG from scanning TriX without post just looks natural. As always, the scanning is done with a D3 - this is the JPG out of camera, just inverted in Photoshop and sharpened in Lightroom. Developing from the NEF file brings out all the detail.

5562224991_62283c4750_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"…" TX400 @ 3200 | D-76 | Noctilux @ f1 | Leica MP

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing Shot & IQ! Your Scanning Technique Works Well Dirk!:smile:

Thanks a lot Steve! It's all just the lens and this amazing film - I loooove pushed TX400 ;-)
There is still a big potential in scanning improvement with this method, as I build one prototype after another with improvements in each revision - I have some ideas for better film transport ;-)

I agree! Beautiful shot.

Samuel

Thank you Samuel! I am cheeky, got a camera around all the time and catch my chances … hehe.

Lovely tones in this one, really what a B&W ought to be.

Thank you Jeff - it is all in the chemical stuff - all just the film ;-)

I am in total agreement. If you want to see tonalities at its best, go b&w film. I have always said in the forums that the tonalities I see with color negative and b&w film I have never been able to reproduce with digital.
I continue to regret giving away my darkroom and medium format camera. Tri-X was my favorite film and HC-110 solution B was my favorite developer for Tri-X. Grain was practically non existent with the combination of exposure and developer time I used.
My zone system negatives were awesome. Prints in fiber based paper superb.
One of these days I am going to try again but without a darkroom I will have to scan.
I have scanned negative film before and I have been very happy.
By the way, great portrait.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

great tones Dirk, lovely image.
how do you find the D-76?...i just bought 3 bags...gotta try it soon.

Thanks Vince!
D-76 is cool.
I never used it myself, but it looks the best, the lab offers, when pushing to 3200.

It looks identical to my eyes, when comparing with TMax developed ISO3200, which I did myself.
I like mixing TMax dev better, as it comes fluid.
I never calculated the economics for one or the other though.

I would start with the massive dev chart times and go from there.

I am in total agreement. If you want to see tonalities at its best, go b&w film. I have always said in the forums that the tonalities I see with color negative and b&w film I have never been able to reproduce with digital.
I continue to regret giving away my darkroom and medium format camera. Tri-X was my favorite film and HC-110 solution B was my favorite developer for Tri-X. Grain was practically non existent with the combination of exposure and developer time I used.
My zone system negatives were awesome. Prints in fiber based paper superb.
One of these days I am going to try again but without a darkroom I will have to scan.
I have scanned negative film before and I have been very happy.
By the way, great portrait.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

William, thank you very much!
I too prefer the look and feel of shooting film.
I do not have a darkroom though, which is not practical in the apartment.

Scanning can be pretty boring - I suppose, wet printing is more fun ;-)

I saw some great gallery prints from a Japanese photographer lately.
He showed only silver prints (8x10) and big prints, made by scanning his silver prints and having them enlarged to 80cm wide canvas gallery wraps.

This is awesome stuff - the silver prints look impeccable, while the big, big canvas still is pretty convincing, despite the digital enlargement (I am not entirely sure, but I think, the scanning of the silver prints has been made on a EPSON 7xx scanner).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom