Digital Compacts - Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David Collignon, Nov 30, 2005.

1. I was wondering if I could get some assistance from you folks. My wife has a small FUJI MX1700 1.5 mp which recently packed her in. They want as much to repair it as to buy a new one. Although it was only 1.5 mp...she loved the camera and it did take really good pictures.
    I have been reviewing the feedback on dpreview on digital compacts and am lost as to what would be a good choice.
    My preference would be to get one with a metal case....not plastic, a good battery source, mp from 4-6.
    Does anybody have a small compact that they really enjoy and would recommend to purchase.

Thanks

2. David, I have ended up with a Sony Cybershot DSC-T7 ( http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...s&INT=sstyle-cameras-heroleft-Cybershot_DSCT7 ).
    - great image quality - 5.1 mp
    - very tiny, you won'k know it is in your pocket
    - sturdy metal built

If you want, there are a few pages in my PBase Page shot with the T7.

Here are a couple of recent threads, which include some other opinions: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57291
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57060

Happy hunting!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Nikon S1

I have a Nikon S1 because of its metal case and small size (fits in a shirt pocket or purse). There is probably a later version out now but I have been quite pleased with the battery life and quality of the pictures.

4. My daughter has a SD400 Canon......the digital elph line.
    Does very nice.
    I think the SD450 is the current model.

Ultimately...just get what handles nicely.
    Metal is meaningless....plastic is probably tougher and more resilient to shocks...all the little cams are toast if dropped most likely.

5. Thanks Frits and Don.
    I will have a look at both of these
    I really appreciate it.

6. Good Point Vernon
    Thanks for your input
    Hey what's it like in San Antonio today. My brother currently lives there.
    It is without a doubt one great city. I really enjoy spending time there.....unfortunately it's never enough

Cheers

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

8. Thanks Ken,

That was one I had a look at.
    If I remember correctly it has no viewfinder.....do you find that a problem ?

9. very few if ANY of the current offers have a viewfinder, the LCDs are all better to the point I think they dropped that feature.

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Actually, a viewfinder was one of the features that I thought I wanted. My comparison choices all had viewfinders. But, I still went with the Pentax because after playing with a variety of viewfinder small cameras, I found that I used the LCD instead - the same was true of my last mini-camera, the Canon Powershot S30. The LCD won out.

11. Dave,

I just picked up a Canon A610 which I have found to be an excellent choice for me. Has a viewfinder, manual controls as well as a variety of programmed modes, swivel LCD, SD media and AA type batteries. I'm amazed at the shots it takes with available light.

12. Thanks Paul,
    I will have a look at that one also. I did look at the 520 but will also check into the 610

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I am really in love with my Kodak DX7630 (which is now being sold as a Z760).. Great 6.1 MP camera with lots of very nice features...

Dave

14. do any of these shoot raw files?

15. It's hard to wrong these days. I have a Canon Elph 4MP camera that I continue to like very much.

16. My wife has a Pansonic FX-7 and is quite good - small, good quality and with 'VR'. The latest model is FX-9.