Digital Copies of Pictures

I need some help. I have some pictures that I have been asked for digital copies for like screen savers and desktop wallpaper. The prints are of their kids that I offer paper prints for. Is there like a "general price rule" to go by when asked for digital copies vs paper? I was thinking cropping the picture to either 1024x768 or 8x10 and selling that on a cd?

I could drop the resolution on the digital print and sell it just for the computer and not print but with photoshop and other utilities one can increase the resolution back.

The shots,2k of them, were a dance recital event. I'm not looking to gouge people but I would like to make some profit for my time and effort while keeping it affordable.

Thanks,
Larry

icetraxx said:
I need some help. I have some pictures that I have been asked for digital copies for like screen savers and desktop wallpaper. The prints are of their kids that I offer paper prints for. Is there like a "general price rule" to go by when asked for digital copies vs paper? I was thinking cropping the picture to either 1024x768 or 8x10 and selling that on a cd?

I could drop the resolution on the digital print and sell it just for the computer and not print but with photoshop and other utilities one can increase the resolution back.

The shots,2k of them, were a dance recital event. I'm not looking to gouge people but I would like to make some profit for my time and effort while keeping it affordable.

Thanks,
Larry

I can't answer to a "price guide" but I sell web photos and have done screen savers at corporate/business level that would blow out the family purse/wallet.

I do see an opportunity here for you to advance your "paper" prints. At least what I'd be looking at if I were doing your type work. Offer a free CD with a set of web cut photos for wallpaper with purchase of x-number of prints (CD mirrors prints purchased). I'd keep them at 480 pixels on the short side.

Think hard about screensavers if you are going to use software to assemble them. Unless things have changed, pro screensaver software that licenses you to sell screensavers have unit number restrictions that can affect your costs.

Larry,
I appreciate your reply and I never thought about angle. That is a very good idea.
Thanks again for the advice,
Larry

L

LarryJacobson

Yet another Larry's comments.

I produce an annual CD of a boat show and once or twice a year I am asked to consider adding a screen saver. After researching this I discovered exacly what Larry #2 Gleason pointed out. Professional versions of the software which provide unlimited use licenses are usually cost prohibitive. I found one or two in the $120-150 range.

So, the bottom line is the bottom line. If your sales warrant it, it may not be a bad idea to purchase a license that permits unlimited distribution.

-Larry

LarryJacobson said:
Yet another Larry's comments.

I produce an annual CD of a boat show and once or twice a year I am asked to consider adding a screen saver. After researching this I discovered exacly what Larry #2 Gleason pointed out. Professional versions of the software which provide unlimited use licenses are usually cost prohibitive. I found one or two in the $120-150 range.

So, the bottom line is the bottom line. If your sales warrant it, it may not be a bad idea to purchase a license that permits unlimited distribution.

-Larry

Lol, and within Larry #3s comment lies the small print that I mentioned to be wary. Not only is the software costly but from what I remember, a set number of permitted distribution was one additional price and unlimited distribution was even higher. Enough to keep me out for the rare times I would have used it.

The other thing to watch is that some of these "pro softwares" required that a screensaver CD dump the files to a computer before it will work. I wanted a self running CD without a file dump and work like an auto slide show. That is so a company can set up in a booth at a show, let the CD run off a rented laptop/monitor in a loop and potential customers walking by can see the photos as they change. One tip here, have every 6th photo be the same company "logo" shot. Most passer-bys won't see more than 6 photos. Of course this application is different than what Larry #1 would be interested in.

So we got Larry, Larry, and Larry. What happened to Darryl? Given if anyone even remembers the TV show.

Latest threads

Top Bottom