Digital Frames - Pandigital observations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GBRandy, Jun 5, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    FWIW, I bought an 8" PanDigital frame for a birthday present for my mother.

There has not been a lot of posts regarding these devices. Having played with this one for a week, I may consider a higher end one to put in the house....it is a clean easy way to show off your shots.

Some comments that might help others:

This was the only 8" frame with an 800 x 600 resolution I could find....all the rest were less. I paid $127 at a local retailer on sale from $149.

Overall build quality is OK. The back seems cheap, but the frame and glass & matte look pretty decent.

The LCD images are quite nice. Better than I excepted actually. I let it run for several hours to burn in th screen and then adjusted contrast & brightness and all looks pretty good.

I loaded up the images off my computer onto the SD card, snap in the card and turn the power on. It recognizes the card and immediately goes to slide show....perfect for Mom....no worries, just turn it on.

It has a clumsy menu system that locked up a few times. I reformatted the card and that seems to be better. The remote is pretty cheesy and works on the first click about 80% of the time.

Overall, I would give this thing an 8 out of 10....for image quality I would rate it at 9 out of 10 as I can still see lines of resolution in it....an Apple Cinema monitor it is not....but from 3 feet away it does the job quite nicely.

YMMV....

2. Interesting! I was just thinking of looking into something like this for George for his Father's Day present. :smile: Thanks Randy for the review.

3. If you want a really really nice way to present your photos in your house get an AppleTV and hook it to your HDTV.

Fantastic! Even with the mediocre photos I take.

They can be set to run as a screensave when you are playing music from iTunes or you can run them as a slideshow.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Randy,
    My kids gave me exactly the same one for my birthday. I really like it. It's been fun to sit on a table and enjoy. I agree that a laptop will give you a better slide show, but an attractive little photo frame is a lot nicer item to have home decor wise. I look at mine all the time as I can see it from my kitchen. Have you found a way to get the settings you program in to stick? When I turn mine off it looses all the settings I made from the menu and I have to repeat the brightness, contrast setting when I turn it back on.

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I recommend the PhotoVu PV1965. Here is a thread I posted about last year's PV-1955 before I bought it. The cost of the new one, like all monitors, dropped like a rock since I bought one for our anniversary present to each other last year. Keeps wear off the HDTV, and settings are adjustable by computer via internet. Photo quality resembles the imac Pro with a 1280 x 1024 screen, programmable on / off times via internet:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=83830&highlight=photovu

Here is the PhotoVu link:

http://www.photovu.com/pv1965.html

This frame is on my home network, WIFI or ethernet, pulls my latest photos out of selected folders from my and my wife's computer, or gets my photos off my Smugmug site... So, put one of these in a non technical family member's house, and you can update photos for them by simply dragging and dropping your latest photos to a file or to Smugmug from your computer or laptop, from anywhere. This is a WOW! piece.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Considering the price and low resolution these things are at, It would seem more economically viable to just buy a LCD monitor and hook it up as a second monitor to your video card and let it go. You can get 17" widescreen monitors that are close to 3:2 ratio for about $150 CAD, and I'm positive they will be better quality than 90% of the digital frames out there.

Only problems might be location (Video card cables aren't that long) And your comp needs to be on to run it. But then it has many many more uses than just a picture frame. So it depends on the user.

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Cool thought, but this device does so much more. The PhotoVu is made for photographers, and not for computer people. The big deal is, it is stand alone. No computer, or skills required to use. And no cables. Bigger yet, as we speak, my 4 output video card is powering 2) 30" Cinemas at full rez, while the PhotoVu is showing my recent Chicago images. It is not tied to what I am doing on the computer. (It has an onboard computer behind the screen).

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I guess it depends on where you want to display it and how it fits in with your home decor. I put mine by my kitchen table, a place the family gathers every day, and it is enjoyed by everyone. I wouldn't want a monitor or bigger screen there. It just looks like a nice photo frame sitting on a little cupboard. It's really a nice little conversation piece. I don't think that their purpose is to be the "best" display for digital photos. But they are a fun accent piece in your home decor. It would be fun to have one sitting on an office desk. Clients that visit with you would probably take notice of it and enjoy it.

I think they have their niche and are a fun little invention.

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    This one looks really nice, drool........

10. I'm glad to read such a good review for a <$150 digital frame. I want one, selfishly for myself…but also for my mother and grandmother. I had also been toying with a 17” monitor for my living room, which I didn’t want to put a TV in, but would like to have some pictures on a LCD if it didn’t look tacky. I have a laptop I am not using that could drive the monitor and everything but the cables could be out of sight.

11. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    That may be next for my wife....the 10.4" frame was only 640 x 480 so I skipped it.

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    PhotoVu now makes a 15" digital frame, 1024 x 768 resolution for $299. Unlike the 17" & 19" frames, it is not internet connectible:
    http://www.photovu.com/pv1540.html

When friends and family come over, they walk past the HDTV, and go right for the PhotoVu. The double matting and custom frame make the ART statement. The professional framer on staff will use any custom mat or frame you specify or provide. It is probably the least GEEKY thing I own. It does not look like a monitor or a gadget. It looks like a custom framed piece of art.

13. I have a question on another brand I received as a gift. I get jpeg data error no matter what I try. My cf card is formatted fat 16 (in camera and on my computer) and the files are seen. However, they just give the above error.

I saved in PS the tiffs as jpeg, quality 12, 10, 8. I also saved for web. They I tried in graphic convertor saving as jpeg - same error.

I do have a message in to tech support for the company (which I think just imports them) and the manual isn't helpful.

Any ideas?

14. I bought the 8" Pandigital frame for George for Father's day. He LOVES it!! :biggrin: It has 800x600 res, and 128Mb internal memory (as well as reading all card types).

15. So, you just saved photos as jpeg in PS and it worked?
    I assumed that would be the case with me but it is not working. Do you shoot in jpeg, or do you shooot raw like I do, convert to tii, and then to jpeg?

16. I shoot in both. I convert RAW to JPG and then just copy the JPG files over to the frame (it hooks in via USB and shows up as a removable drive in My Computer).