digital gear pricing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gerald Plowman, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Received a surprise yesterday. . . . I have purchased mucho dollars worth of camera's, lens, etc. from B & H.. . . I usually have checked a couple other large retailers on line but almost always have bought from B & H. . . their pricing set the standard and their service has been just plain top-notch. . . . while in Portland, Oregon I visited the two "camera stores" located downtown. . . . discovered a D200 for sale for $1,500 body only. . .B & H price which included a lens they sell seperately for $259 was $1,903 after a $100 discount. . . while there I might as well look at some "stuff" right?
    Ended up buying a Sigma 10-20 for $499; same price B & H charges. . . perhaps I need to rethink immediately going to B & H for purchases without spending more time checking pricing.

2. B&H is an old and respected source for everything photographic. I know a lot of people who call them and say "send me..............." without even asking for a price. :confused: One friend said it wasn't worth the bother to try and save a "penny or two" by shopping around. :rolleyes: Personally, I've purchased less than 10% of my photo needs from them in the past 30 years. They are notoriously high on their prices. Service? The best! Do what they say they'll do? Without a doubt. But you pay for all that...........pay a premium. I'm not rich enough to blindly shop with a company that is gobbling up my money. This equipment costs too much as it is. I'll shop around, thank you!:smile:

3. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    All I know is that BH replaced a year old DEAD SB-600 that was grey market. I'm happy with them.

4. I always go to B&H for everything since I know they will have "fair" prices (might not be the lowest), with excellent customer service.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I think it always pays to shop for expensive purchases. I have bought from Adorama, KEH and Buydig in addition to B&H. I have been satisfied by all four online retailers.

6. You would not do yourself any favors if you did not do some comparison shopping when buying expensive gear. Know the reputation of the dealers and get an idea of the going street pricing for the items you are interested in before committing to a transaction. That knowledge will give you a negotiation advantage.

7. If I'm going to pay more for gear, I will try to buy locally, So I never understood the mentallity of PAying the customer service premium for online stores. Their advantage is low lease costs and less face to face customer service, and larger returns to scale of Supplying to a greater number of clients than a Local store.
    So economically they should be cheaper. I'll pay more to support my friends in town (or buy used on here for a great deal minus a warranty).

OF course if you don't have a camera store locally that stocks what you need, or they absolutely suck (Like they used to) Then thats different..
    But otherwise, Support local, and buy from Nikoncafe! (is my moto!)

8. henryp

henryp

Dec 29, 2005
    New York, NY
    It's worth observing this is the same as our current price for the body-only.

Thanks to all for your kind words. I think shopping around is smart. You (and I) work hard for the $$$ and should spend it wisely. That said, the lowest price isn't the only reason to pick a particular retailer and Resellerratings should be among your bookmarks.

BTW, regarding low lease costs, our retail store in mid-town Manhattan is 35,000 sq ft and will be double that before the end of the year. With the exception of our Brooklyn warehouse, our entire operation is located in Manhattan and anyone who can find low lease costs on this island should bottle that magic!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007
  9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    B&H

B&H has become my "go to" camera source. I rarely find them undersold, and go elsewhere only when B&H is out of stock. A well kept secret about B&H is Henry Posner who just posted. I have emailed him a few times, and he responds quickly, and is very helpful.. He also frequents most of the camera forums.

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Sorry for the duplicate post. Mods, please delete.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  11. Just checked my email and recorded since 2003 are 85 orders!

I used them heavily before that as well. I remember buying stuff in 2001.

The one time I had a disagreement with them, they fixed it. The few times I've had issues, they fixed it.

Couldn't be happier.

12. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    I've spent thousands of dollars at B&H over the past seven years or so. I love their service, prices, and catalogs (yes, catalogs). I'm about to purchase another body, flash, and prime from them. I've rarely seen B&H undersold; virtually never by a company I considered reputable.

13. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    I was nervous about my initial purchase. So I went with a local chain. I feel I spent about 500 more than I could have gotten online. But it was really easy to return and swap a couple of items early in the purchase. Flash and original (2) lens. Every thing was in stock. So it was worth it.

Now I know more of what I want. Fast Glass. The local store is 15-25% more and I have to pay 10% sales tax. They don't stock it. They aren't willing to match online retailers prices. It makes it to expensive to buy from them. I think they make most of thier money on prints anyway?

14. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Timing is everything. I used the May code and got a D200 for $1325....and ProPhoto was at $1500 at the time.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I trust B&H and just go there first.:>))

Besides the sales personel I personally have talked to have been most helpful , answered my stupid questions and had a few laughs with them
    So 150% happy.

Thanks Henry for stopping by.

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    In this day and age, I don't really see the benefit to paying a premium for local purchase, unless you need it same-day. B&H has better return policy than most local stores, and I trust the specs in their product listings over what a local salesman may or may not know. Not many of the local places carry an extensive stalk of the specialty or expensive items anyway. And on big purchases, the savings in sales tax will often outweigh any shipping charges.