Digital Photography - A Hurricane Preparation Tool!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drueter, Sep 21, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Well, after getting all the New Orleans hurricane refugees (my children) out of the house, now we have Rita on the way to Houston - another Cat 5 hurricane!

As my daughter, Jessica (who lost everything due to Katrina), was working with her insurance company, she was asked to prepare a list of everything she lost! That was quite a chore going room by room through her small apartment in her mind to try to remember everything. She still is adding to the list as she sees things in stores or remembers another item in a drawer.

SO, learning from that experience, I went throughout the house yesterday and photographed everything with my trusty D2H and Nikor 12-24. Opened drawers, cabinets, closets, etc so we can have a record to remember and to show the insurance company if we have any damage.

Lots of other work to do to prepare - bring in everything from outside, etc, but got my photo inventory done first and burned it to a DVD today. Instant feedback and digital files were a time saver and big help!

Now, where's that hurricane going ......................

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Well, I hope you won't need to use those pictures you captured Don.

Tell Jessica that we have been thinking of her and hope that she is doing well. If there is anything that I can do just let me know. Hopefully you won't be too affected by this latest storm.

Regards,

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks, Patrick! Jessica is staying here in an apartment a few miles from us and is back in school locally trying to finish her degree. Still no word on when (or if) she can go back to New Orleans to try to recover her hard drive or anything else. She doesn't have internet access yet, so she hasn't been on the Cafe site for a week or more. I know she really appreciates everyone's concern and thoughts and will post again soon.

We're about 90 miles inland, but looks like we will be on the strong side of the storm. We're going to stay here and hope the winds don't get too bad. Now it's just a stressful waiting game.

4. I just saw that the Hurricane had been upgraded to a Cat.5 and this really makes me feel bad for the people of the gulf coast of Texas. I hope it will not go too badly for you. Your idea of pictorially documenting your possessions is a good one. Something you hope you won't need but good preparation none the less.

5. Best of luck to anyone in Rita's path.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Don,
    Not quite sure how close you are. Winds now 185 mph.

Get the heck out of there if anywhere close.
    This thing is a monstor.

God bless and please keep safe.

Stay in touch.

Love and hugs and Blessing to you and your family and the animals.

7. Don,

I was in Andrew and all I can say is either get out or be prepared for the experience of your life... if you survive. Cat 4-5 storms are killers. They knock down concrete buildings, they desroy everything including law and order.

Stock up on enough food and water for two weeks. Buy an assault weapon and lots of ammo. If you stay and the eye of a Cat 4 passes over or near you everything standing will be destroyed, you will be trappped and your life will be in danger.

You have no idea what you are exposing yourself to... may God protect you.

Woody

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well it was looking really bad last night for Houston. Storm path has shifted overnight and now it's looking like it will come right into Galveston bay. The only good news for us is that Houston looks to be on the back side of the storm now. Hopefully it will shift even more to the NE (no offense to anybody living in that direction). We got our flight change to leave out of Dallas so we're driving up that way today and will probably still go on vacation. Hopefully we have a home to come back to though.

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Gordon - thanks for the thoughts. My original post was to remind anyone preparing for a natural disaster that our favorite hobby is a great way to prepare a visual image of your things as a future record, if needed.

Gale - Thanks for all your kind thoughts as well - and thanks for remembering the animals - they need protection too!

Beezle - thanks for the thoughts.

Woody - Thanks for the warnings. I also experienced Andrew when it made its second landfall in Louisiana. I saw a number of hurricanes in the 12 years I lived outside New Orleans (none as bad as Katrina, thankfully), and know fully the serious threat they present. I have an evacuation plan in place and ready to execute, but am waiting until those more threatened by flooding and storm surge in coastal counties get out. As Jeff noted, the storm now appears to be heading more to the east of us, so I'll pay close attention, watch for further changes, and get on the road in plenty of time to get to safety if needed. My primary concern here is wind and trees - no flooding issue - so the storm track is the key. I also am well stocked with necessary supplies if we decide to stay here.

Jeff - good luck getting to Dallas! Now that they've opened the southbound lanes for northbound traffic on I-45, you may have a chance to get there in a reasonable amount of time. Hope you make your flight and have a great vacation!

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    No such luck. We actually decided to try to get out on 249 and make our way towards Waco to go up I-30 from there, but it was total gridlock. After 11 hours of driving we had gotten 30 miles from home and wasted 1/2 tank of gas. It wasn't looking like the gridlock was going to let up anytime soon and even the back country roads were a mess. So we turned around and came home (which ironically, only took about 30 minutes).

I think if we had gone I-45 it would have been even worse, from what we heard on the radio even opening up the southbound lanes didn't help much, it sounded like they were moving even more slowly than us. And I don't think we would have had the option of turning around, either (at least not as easily/quickly).

So we'll sit the storm out from here. Fortunately the prediced path keeps changing for the better (for Houston, anyway), so at this point I don't think it will be too dangerous for us up here on the NW side of town. Probably going to be without power for a while, though.

11. Good luck to everyone that is down there, our thoughts
    are with you.

Don, I think it is a great idea to take photo's of my house and
    possessions even though we are not in the path. It would
    definately make dealing with insurance companies easier in the
    event of some catastrophy in the future.(an ounce of prevention)

We should also consider duplicating important digital photo files and
    moving them to a different location.

Stay Safe!

Cheers,
    Robin :smile:

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Had a pretty uneventful night here, I actually slept through most of it. The nasty stuff was well to our east and somewhat less to the northeast.

13. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Jeff - Glad to hear you got through the storm okay! We also made it through and never even lost power! I really feel bad for the folks in SW Louisiana and a couple of east Texas counties, though. They had a really rough night.