1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DII Football: #3 North Alabama @ #4 Carson-Newman

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Mason, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Hey everybody,

I almost hesitate to post these. I am having some pretty severe color variation in various programs since I calibrated this laptop that I am using. See this thread for more info if you think you might have some ideas: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186661 I had to hit these with a lot of color boost/saturation and they still look iffy in Windows Picture viewer and IE…and downright horrible in Capture NX and Safari, but I’m not sure which one to trust. I’m pretty sure the oranges are trashed on these and I am going to have to reprocess…what do they look like to you?

Back to the football: Last Thursday #3 University of North Alabama (UNA) traveled to #4 Carson-Newman. CN is one of the few teams left in the country (maybe the only) that runs a split veer option offense, and they run it to perfection. It causes fits for everyone they play. UNA came out on top 20-13.

Our senior QB passed for a career high 401 yards against a very good defense:
    366740020_rP3Wb-L-1.

#1 RB:
    366746305_JUX8r-L.

#2 RB:
    366759726_ctj5z-L.

Defense celebrates a fumble recovery:
    366784992_LJRd5-L.

Our kicker is a transfer from Cal. He had a injury last year but somehow has elegability left in D2 but not D1:
    366749898_hHVbQ-L.

Dragging the option down from behind:
    366801278_Fo74t-L.

Happy guys:
    366811609_Z7GYu-L.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. nice shooting, mason
    i like these

401 yards passing......
    that is AWESOME
    exciting game
    glad you shared it with us

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    all solid captures, though as you said I think these to me from my uncalibrated monitor seem to be to saturated.

4. Images look pretty good. Almost seems a little over sharpened if anything. Orange might be over saturated, but thats about it.

5. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    These look very nice.

Color seems fine ot me but I do not have a reference. My monitor is calibrated and the Foxfire 3 says it is as well.

No EXIF that I can see...what ISO / Camera / Lens? (I suspect I know which lens)

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Firefox 3?

oh never mind lol I guess mine updated without me even knowing.

But how does firefox tell you whether or not the image looks right?

7. Thank you sir. Yeah, 401 yards is awesome. On the other hand we could not get the run game going. A win is a win, and it was a fun time and good trip.

Thanks for looking Matthew. I have four programs and they look different in all of them. My work monitor is pretty fair so I will have to look at them on that computer too.

Thank you. I had a feeling about the orange, but I'm glad you helped confirm that.

Thank you Randy. Sorry, SmugMug strips the EXIF out of everything other than the original size. Almost all shots were in Manual at ISO 2000...D300...and the GBRandy special Nikon 300 2.8 ED-AF lens :biggrin:

I have been trying to shoot the 70-200 on the D2H as well, but I just end up swapping lenses on the D300.

When I am sure I have my color issue solved I will reprocess them and try to do a better job.

8. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    You?!!! Aint you one of them there Canon boys I pick on at POTN? :eek: 

One of the features, as I understand it anyway, of Firefox 3.0 is that it brings across color spaces as presented instead of converting to a default as it did in the past. As a result you see the images as presented by the poster...not converted to meet a default colors pace.

I much prefer Firefox over IE and the latest release has been a very impressive upgrade.

Damn Canon people...they are always a step behind :wink: Oh wait...you converted. :eek: 

9. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I don't think you ever picked on me lol

And yes I am a convert. I actually never shot nikon before but hell you can't live life without ever walking through that door :) 

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thought so...your stuff always looks good.

11. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I went the other way about a year ago :)  Nice to drive both models huh? :tongue:

...and for the record folks...Matthew here knows his sports photography...Canon, Nikon, Pentax or pinhole...

12. He's also (as far as I know) the only one of us who has played pro ball (QB no less!). The man can play AND shoot:eek: 

13. well....
    if you're passing for 401 yards... i guess no one needed the running backs....
    i guess the defense never "adjusted" to your offense

good for you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.